best ampeg cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kolkoz, Jun 19, 2003.

1. SVT-410HLF

34 vote(s)
  2. SVT-610HLF

19 vote(s)
  3. PR-4140HLF

11 vote(s)
  4. Others (explain)

24 vote(s)
  1. kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    Which is the best cab.... Why ?
    thanks a lot
  2. kolkoz

Mar 26, 2003
    excuse me, there is a mistake : PR-4140HLF is PR-410HLF...(of course)
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    As far as Ampeg goes, and one cab you forgot to mention and in my opinion is the best cab ive heard from them is the bxt4x10
  4. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I would have to agree. The BXT 410 sounds just as good as the 610 hlf. You might want to try one of those also.
  5. I would have to say the svt410hlf out of those choices. Firstly because It sounds the meatiest and closest to the svt810 IMHO.

I played through an svt cl into a 610lf, 410hlf, and the pr-410hlf as well as the 810 and one of the 15's at a guitar center. They had one of those cab/amp selector switches going so I was able to swich back and forth between a wall of ampeg cabs. (very fun) The pr-410 was just not the "ampeg" tone to my ears and was too muddy. Between the 410 and the 610, the 410 sounded meatier and ballsier. The 610 had less lowend then the 410.

Secondly, I'm selling my svt410hln cab so I have to. :D Actually in all seriousness, I realized that the 410 sounded the best out of these choices. The 810 was the overall best however.

BTW I put my cab on ebay. Local buyer preferred, but even if I shipped it, It's still a steal. Figure its at 359 + appx 75 for shipping.
  6. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Deep and sweet without being muddy or boomy
  7. The Ampeg 8x10 is the The Greatest Cabinet in the History of Bassdom. Bar none. Anything else and you're just pulling the wool over your own eyes.

Because I said so.
  8. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

The PB212, because it wieghs 37 lbs!:D :bag:

PEACE!!!!!, Johno!
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    NOT a V6B! Big, heavy, lousy tone.
  10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Hi all 4x10 freaks.

I tried out the SVT-410HLF at Guitar Center tonight. They also had a PR-410H (only other working cab they had on their ampeg switchbox...)

The only working amp they had was a B2R which should be matched pretty well at 350w into 4 ohms.

The SVT-410HLF started rattling right away with the standard smiley-face EQ the store had set up on the B2R, especially the horn. The cab would even "fart out" on the low F on a 4-string. I thought this could be due to underpowering the EQ, flattened it and give it a little low-mid bump and high-mid cut and it tightened up the cabinet quite a bit. Still had to take down the treble to about 10:00 to cut the horn, it seemed unbalanced in relation to the 10" drivers and overdriven.

Now the EQ is tuned to the cabinet and it's sounding tight and powerful. I hear another bad rattling sound... guess what? It's a SWR Son of Bertha sitting about 3 feet away, not even plugged in! ROFL! This Ampeg cabinet has SERIOUS low-end projection power.

The PR-410H had a better sounding high end, it seemed weighted toward a better high and high-mid presence. But it suffered badly when driven with a strong low-end signal. This cabinet may sound better with a massive low EQ cut but I didn't bother to find out.

Unfortunately, neither cabinet had the midrange presence I was looking for in a 4x10. The PR is weighted to the highs and the SVT-HLF is weighted to the lows. I think Ampeg has a killer power-projection enclosure design with the SVT-HLF (if they can keep it from rattling apart!), and without the horn I would definitely use it as a sub-driver with a more present top cab. But the components don't match well to my ears. This cabinet would be better if they ditched the horn and used some more present 10" drivers.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My findings, which I'll admit are confined to the music store, are that while the SVT-410HLF sounds good (or great), the SVT-610HLF is better (better low end, in spite of Ampeg's specs) but to my ears the PR-410HLF is best. The low end from that cabinet was nothing short of incredible. It's interesting that Mitch Metal's observations about low end prowess were somewhat opposite of what I heard, even with the same amp. Maybe it was the alcove...

If I had the back to haul 'em and the $$$ to buy 'em, I'd be very happy with a pair of PR-410HLFs (or the SVT-610s for that matter).

I did own an old 8x10 and while it sounded very good, it produced THUNDER and I wanted something a little brighter.
  12. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i love the B100R, and the PB 212. they are both different beasts but both just as killer as the other. i own the 100, and will oneday own a porta Bass. they both sound great, and i am in love with the prta bass because its well... easy to transport. :)
  13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Hi Billy, they didn't have a PR-410HLF, it was just an H. So I wasn't really able to compare "apples to apples". :meh:
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would it be surprising that a cab would fart out on a Low F, especially coming from (in all probability) a 34" scale bass?
  15. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    he was talking about the F on the E string of a 4-string bass
  16. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The PR-410HLF, and only because it weighs almost half as much as the PR-810, which is just way to heavy for one person (myself). The PR-410 is still 125 lbs. and has totally enough power handling for any gig I play.
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    That still wouldn't be a 'low F' but I'd hope this is what he meant...
  18. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I own 2 BXT-410HL cabinets. I enjoy the tone of these cabs very much. They have a warm tone with nice mids. I have'nt compared them to any of the other Ampeg cabinets. At one time I owned an 810E cab that was incredible sounding but it was too awkward for me to load by myself. My only complaint in regards to the BXT cabs is that they're heavier(122 lbs) than most of the other 4-10's that I've owned or tried, but I swear by my handtruck, so no problem. :)
  19. I've heard bassists play through bxt's and they sound awesome. Do they even make those anymore?