Best Ampeg rig for...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jun 4, 2003.

1. The most volume, tone, and cost. I lve Ampeg stuff, but my income isn't the best it could be. So in a month or two, I plan on upgrading from my peg combo (b3158). I am probably going to go with a 4x10 config. I'm not sure, any tips hints opinions will be thanked.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You might want to give us a little more info like, your budget, type of music you play, and if you are planning on only using a 410 cab forever or will you add another cab eventually?
  3. Well, I will/do play mainly rock, metal, funk, jazz, and some of those combined, and I make about $100 a week. And I plan on using a 4x10, or a 2x15 possibly.I do plan on using more than one cab though. So perhaps a 4x10 and a 1x15, or 2x15
  4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    if you save up the cash, you could go for vic wooten steve baily cabs. it's a 4x10 +1x15, so maybe to much for what your after.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    OK after reading your last post i would say get an Ampeg B2r head and a classic series one 15 cab. Then add a 410 later. But you might want to go try out some Peavey stuff too.:bassist:
  6. I think the Ampeg svt 410hlf is a awsome cab, I run it off of a Ampeg svt-4pro head and love it, I also run a svt 215e off it as well, the total package is f@#k'n unbeleavable, Its got the tone that i wanted (it took a bit to figure everything out but once you do, look out)never have to worry about not being loud enough, and you can always keep your guitar player and drummer under control with a little bump in the volume when they get out of control.

Get the 410, you wont be dissapointed and if you can afford it get the svt pro4 head, so when you want to add another cab, you wont have to trade it in for a bigger one and loose a bunch of ca$h, and the 215 would fit nice, once you scrape a bit more up.

This is just my own oppinion, but best for you to try as much equipment out as possible, and buy what sound the best to you.

Good luck!

7. If only I wasn't paying off a loan with my mother for my 6 string......
  8. Bump, and would an svt4 and a 410hlf be loud enough for small, medium, and outdoor venues, and shows and crap? Plus will the cab handle my low B well enough. If I recall it has a decent frequency response
  9. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    The 410HLF is an awesome cab. On most gigs I use just one of them. I play some funky rock stuff and at a fairly loud volume. The thing I love about the cab it how much it throws the sound. At a recent gig in a medium sized I hall, I brough both 410's just in case and found that I could've done the gig easily with 1 cab. There were 2 guitarists, a loud drummer and only the vocals going through the PA. It handles the Low B on my Cirrus just fine.

For the amp side of things, I didn't care for the SVT4. I played what the store had, and ended up ordering the SVP-PRO preamp. Much better tone for me and just add the power you need. Cost wise a new SVP-Pro and power amp will be cheaper than a new SVT4. I think QSC RMX 1850HD's are going for $450 or so on Ebay.

I think I paid $550 each on the cabs and somewhere around $400 or $450 for the pre. I don't remember the actual breakdown of the figures.

Good luck, and as Willwonka stated earlier, Ampeg does indeed rock!
  10. I will probably go with an svt3 or a 410hlf or a 610hlf
  11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    SVT3 is underpowered IME.

Why Ampeg? There is other great gear out there for cheaper. GK's heads are awesome, or even a pre/powere system.
  12. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    i have a VERY VERY NEW ampeg rig just for your needs. svt4pro mint condiiton in a 4 space grundorf rack and a bxt410hlf4. email if interested...
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i play an SVP-Pro and QSC RMX 1450 - man, i get compliments left and right - i paid $425 for the pre and i think $350 for the amp - along with an Avatar 410 - i even like my tone.

cost effective rig that has ton's of headroom!!

14. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a 610hlf and I like it a lot. It cuts through my guitar player's Mesa Triple Rec. and Fender Prosonic heads just fine.

I think a 410 would be fine though. I previously ran an SVT-4Pro with an SWR 410 and it kept up pretty well.