1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Ampeg SVT-215e Replacement Driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrkreuzschlitz, Oct 4, 2008.

1. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    A friend of mine recently got one of these bad boys and after a show, his lead singer's truck was in a parking lot when the sprinklers got turned on. Obviously the thing got soaked, and he hasn't checked if it works or not yet, but worse case scenario, what's you guy's recommended replacement driver for the svt-215e?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If they were damaged, I'd look into having the origanal speakers reconed.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Well he was thinking about getting new drivers anyways, and why not get something that can handle more than 200 watts per driver? Basically he wants something that can handle 800 watts. I like the Delta 15's, but would they work well in the cab?

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    My old Ampeg SVT 115's with the old 418-8H Series II drivers but then I use a valve amp and so have no need for more than 300 watts between two 15" speakers.
    But then my speakers are 103db 1 watt 1 Meter each.
    So to reach the same apparent level as the original one you will need just under twice the amplifier output power and then add about whatever the difference is in apparent level between tube and SS I think its generally taken to be about a factor of 1 to 2.5 for an acceptable cleanish sound.
    So you are not far too far off in your calculations of needing all that power to do what an old 300 watt rig did stock.
    You will probably get away with 1200 watts RMS of SS at 98 db spl per driver.
    With a decent compressor about 800 SS watts will just get it.
    But then the speakers will not be very compliant rather heavy in the voice coil, long on X max and short on agility.
    The perfect recipe for dull and lifeless tone.
    :bassist:
    PS I found you a top quality 70's ampeg speaker as agile as a CTS but with a bit better power handling and totally legendary tone, if that matters?.
    http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php?prod=altec

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Anybody else?