1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Amps for Punchy Fuzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deunoro Jomo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Deunoro Jomo

Deunoro Jomo

Mar 23, 2007
    I am in the market for a new amp. Thing is, I've already got a Genz-Benz M-Line 200W combo, which is very clean and clear, but sound bad when you run any overdrive into it. I'm thinking of using that amp for my cleans, and a new amp for my overdriven sound.

In particular, I am looking for a solid-state amp without a tweeter, or at least one that you can attenuate. A couple of candidates so far are the SWR WorkingPro 12, the Gallien-Krueger MB150 MicroBass, and the Nemesis RS212 combos.

What amps do you think are punchy and bright enough to amplify a really solid overdriven fuzz sound (preferably under $1500)?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why limit yourself to combo amps with a healthy budget like you have? I'd be looking for some sort of dirty sounding preamp, or even an overdrive pedal, as an alternative to buying a new amp.

3. Deunoro Jomo

Deunoro Jomo

Mar 23, 2007
    A very cursory initial set of options, indeed. Any recommendations for dirty sounding preamps?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, not really, but an EBS Valve Drive, (preamp/overdrive stomp box) would certainly work. And, you'd save a bunch-o-money, too.

5. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    how about a sansamp? i got an rpm a few months back, and it can get real dirty. i cant believe i waited this long..... really. i just cant find enough good things to say about it in the context that i am using it for.

6. with that money, get a sansamp rpm and rbi and wire them together. theres a thread on here about a member who did it, sounds AMAZING.
    or, grab a landmark 300 or 600 if you can find it, same thing.

+1000 on tech 21 products, I love them.

7. modulus763

modulus763

Nov 28, 2007
    Maryland
    I use an EBS Valve Drive and Tech 21. My bass of choice is a Modulus 5 Sweet Spot. The EBS is the better of the two IMHO but, the Tech 21 has it's place (Think TOOL)

I owned a SWR Interstellar Overdrive once. Killer over driven sound but thin compared to my Kern. I do miss the IOD for my over driven sound...Looking to maybe replace it soon.