Best and safest way to ship a bass to Mexico?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mexibass, Aug 27, 2013.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    Everytime I buy an expensive bass in the USA, either online or thru my brother who lives there, I face the same dilemma. How can I have it shipped to Mexico in the safest way possible? I have friends also, and some of them offer to bring them on the plane, in the cabin, so does my brother, but I can't keep asking em all the time to struggle with the flight attendants to let them do this. I've thought of buying a SKB Roller ATA case, and just tell them to check them as luggage but dont wanna risk my precious basses to get lost or damaged by insensitive people. Maybe UPS, FedEx or DHL, but it's uber expensive because of the damned import taxes in my country!

Any recommendations/experiences with either of these solutions? Thanks a lot guys!

2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Have these guys transport it......

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I did a gig in Mexico last year and very hesitantly checked my Stingray in its hard case.

It arrived without a scratch and got home safely as well.

YMMV, but most airlines are pretty good these days with guitars if they are marked fragile.

4. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Dusty bottoms, lucky day and ned niedalander to the rescue.

5. jtims

jtims

Mar 16, 2012
    Buy a mexico bass, safest way

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    +1

See my post #2!

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Always remember....

Seriously though, if theft from within the system isn't your main concern then simply use lots of bubble wrap, including inside the case around the headstock, and ship as you normally would (with ample insurance) with a private company (Fedex, UPS, etc) and not the government.

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    You basically have three options;

a) Buy a bass in USA , have it shipped to Mexico via fedex, ups or dhl , paid the duties. Should be around 30% of the value of the bass.

b) Wait for a friend to come to the US ,ask him to buy the bass and bringing it back as personal luggage.

c) Buy the same bass in Mexico.

All three are safe options. Of course there is chance the plane crash, UPS damaged the package or the bass slip off your hands when you are unpacking the beauty that you safely bought in Mexico.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It looks like you already know what the best and safest way to ship a bass is.

10. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    Keep it away fro Delta Airlines, they have a bad track record with guitars.

11. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    LOL! :D

12. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    I'd take a chance with a stingray, but the bass I'm having shipped is around 3k, that's why I don't feel that comfortable putting it in the cargo compartment :/

Forgot to mention, I'm talking specifically about a custom bass that it's being built right now.

I guess this might be the safest way.

LOL!! Same as above, the bass is being custom built, besides, there's no way to get a fancy (new) bass in Mexico, all you can get here are Fenders, Musicmans, and such. Not that there's something wrong with these brands of course, I love both, but now I'm looking to try new things, maybe custom made, like the bass that is being built for me right now. Friends and relatives have brought me instruments in the past but they all agree that flight attendants are giving people a hard time nowadays to let them bring their basses on board as a carry-on which is, of course, the safest and cheapest way possible.

I guess you're totally right!

13. mexibass

mexibass

Feb 12, 2012
    Cozumel, México
    well, my exgf came up with a solution, she's coming to mexico in a couple of months and she's traveling with spirit airlines. She found out that they allow to buy an extra seat on the plane to carry a musical instrument to sit in there like a member of your family :p

The extra seat is like 120 bucks. Cheaper than the ATA case, than the UPS shipping and safer than throwing it in the cargo compartment. I think I found a solution! :D

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021