Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best and Worst things about a Stingray 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 23, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm looking to maybe pick one of these badboys up, just because they are for all intensive purposes, the ultimate live bass from what I've seen and heard; both live and from others.

So, what's the best and worst things about 'em? I've played Ray 4's, Sterlings, and 5's, but just wanted some input from some actual owners/users... Only thing I can really think of that's a negative is having to rest your thumb on the p'up for the most part if you don't have a thumb-rest installed closer to the neck, unless you just anchor on the B. Anyhow, everything else about 'em is just great, IMO!

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Bad things:

- Both G and B string are very close to the border of the fingerboard so it gets some time to get used and not make it slip off the neck
    - Sounds amazing plucked hard (i.e. Flea), but very hard plucking on your B string makes it touch the pole pieces of the PU and that makes a terrible noise
    - Not an amazing bass for picking (although acceptable, but never as good as a RIC or Ripper/Grabber)
    - No neck J definition (develops better on the FAT spectrum)

Good things:

- Punchiest brightest bass ever (rather Hi-Fi) and three way switch helps achieve a little variety
    - Superior playability (mine is all unfinished birdeye maple) (EBs are much more playable than pre-EB MusicMans)
    - I LIKE heavy instruments (helps sustain) and this is one (10 lbs) so weight is good for me
    - Great B string (just to defeat the 35" myth) even stands drop A tuning
    - Perfect EQ
    - Can perfectly handle low action
    - Not versatile (if you need MM tone and personality, you're not looking for versatility -although it has it but just in a minimal dose-)

Hope that helps. Take care...

ANDRUCA

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah, I remember them having a very specific feel to them;something that definitely takes some getting used to... I definitely need to go play some again sometime soon.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It's only "the brightest bass ever" if you want it to be. Mine is a thumper, set up with flats and the treble knob off, and it sounds...well, "bright" is not a term you'd come up with.

Also, there goes your "lack of versatility" argument.

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Great B string.... heavy though. As far as tone kind of a one trick pony I suppose but cuts the mix well. I have had mine for over two years and for me the jury is still out....love the B string but have heard other fivers, Roscoe, Zon, Lull, that SMOKE what this can do. Maybe comparing them is not fair...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This bass has lots of great things going for it. I will mention only the negatives. The two reasons that kept me from buying one.

Doesn't sound like a Stingray 4.

String spacing is too narrow.

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    shes been my main bass for years, seen its fair shair of stage time. the only negative i have is i can justify buying other basses to get other tones. but its my favorite fretted bass. that, a good fretless and a jazz is all i would ever need.

8. repeat after me: intents and purposes.

and no, for many intents and many purposes it is not the ultimate live bass. if you're looking for a neck pickup sound you're out of luck, of course, and many slappers complain that the tight spacing hinders them.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Actually, that might be your own unfounded opinion. From when I've heard them and seen what they can do, hardly any bass sounds like a 'Ray does live. I never said I was looking for a neck pickup sound, either. I have a great Charvel that's got a P/J setup that's more than enough neck pickup sound. Without a pickup there, how would there be a neck pickup sound???? :meh: I've slapped on them before, and I'd hardly call the string spacing "tight".

And vacman- Yeah, I'd say it's hard to compare a sub-$1000 bass to upper level instruments like those. I'd hope they'd play up to their respective price tags! :)

10. what the blazes are you talking about? you said stingray5 = ultimate bass for ALL purposes, not YOUR SPECIFIC purposes. i was pointing out where that is incorrect. there's nothing unfounded about my opinion.

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

narrow? doent it has 18mm string spacing vs the 19mm of the 'ray 4 and the sterling.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Hmm, this sure sounds like what you're saying:
    "just because they are for all intensive purposes, the ultimate live bass from what I've seen and heard;"

So actually, I was being quite specific about my purposes.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

*head explodes* :rollno:

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My 2¢:

--Like the sounds

--Undecided about the looks

--Dislike the narrow string spacing

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    As Said above. strings close to edge of fingerboard.
    Would like wider fingerboard.
    But bass sounds great.

16. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    My 5 month old maple fretboard Stingray5 is the easiest playing 5 I've ever played. The action is nice and low and if I want a different sound I just tweak it at the amp. I do that already with my P Bass! I've had a Stingray 4 and a Sterling and to me the SR5 is the best. It was a little bright with the factory strings but I put Slowound 45-130's on it and it's perfect.
    Oh, and I do anchor my thumb on the B when I'm not playing it.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    What's the string spacing specs on the neck; at the nut and on the 21st fret? I'm currently playing a 6-er, and have been playing Spectors previously, so it'd be hard to get much narrower than that.

18. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    I don't have anything to measure the spacing with but I don't feel that it's overly tight. I don't have any problems switching between the SR5 and the P Bass on a gig. I used to own a Ken Smith Burner 5 - Now that spacing was tight!

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Narrow nut.

That about the only bad thing I can think of. Amazing basses. I'd probably own one if they had a wider nut.

20. EB basses go down as one of the highest in quality control for manufactured basses. (and guitars too)

IMO of course