Best anp for small gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass87, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Marshall B150

0 vote(s)
  2. SWR LA 15

2 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg BA115

17 vote(s)
  4. Trace Elliot Commando 12

1 vote(s)
  5. Other

14 vote(s)
  1. Which of the above would be best for small gigs and practices? If other please state which.
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Out of those I would get the Ampeg.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I agree. Of those 4, Ampeg.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id say one of the Eden Nemesis amps, probably the 2-10.

Ive used the Ampeg (borowed, not mine) at band practices before, and couldnt hear myself even when I turned up as loud as I could, plus it was really distorted and sounded terrible. With the Nemesis, I can hear myself pretty good, and I odnt worry about distortion as much, plus its really light and portable.

5. I'd go with the Ampeg. BA115 or the B100R. Very delicious sounding combos.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Of those listed, the Ampeg. Sure, it's not exactly clean when cranked, but that's not to be expected with this power rating (and brand).

The Nemesis 2X10 is giggable, if a little bulky. It's also a sub-brand of Eden, so, in view of all the Eden scuttlebutt currently cluttering the boards, check for availability.
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I voted OTHER..... and that would be a Hartke Kickback 15.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    none of the above!

actually, i was at Sam Ash the other day trying out the an Ibanez Gary Willis model, and tried the SWR's Working Man's 12.

WOW, what a great little amp. tone was reaallyy nice, and i liked it a helluva lot more than the SWR Redhead next to it. i'm sure the 15 kicks ass too.

very impressed with its tone. its only 120 watts, but if that's enough, i'd give it good consideration.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That's odd, because when I tried a Workingman's 12 I could not for the life of me get a decent tone out of it. I was demoing a more-than decent bass (Modulus Genesis), and it was far too boomy and had little definition. Perhaps it was the acoustics, or a bad floor model but my experience wasn't a good one. I'll have to give it another chance.

Off topic - what was your impression of the Willis signature? From the specs and recording I've heard (apart from Willis, it's Sean Malone's primary bass) it looks to be great, but I've never seen one in any shop to try.

Back to the topic on hand, I'd grab a SWR Super Redhead if given half the chance (and all the money ;)), but I've also taken a liking to the Peavey BAM 2x10" and the Fender Bassman 400 2x10".
  11. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    In my opinion the lightest and uncoloured one is :

Acoustic Image Clarus with Acme Low B1:D
  12. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I haven't tried it myself, but I hear that Ampeg 100R beats the B115 when it comes to tone.
  13. burdizzos

Dec 9, 2002
    Chucktown, SC

Nemesis NC-210P
    Mine is modified with two 16 ohm Eminence Delta tens and a parallel output jack for connecting my 8 ohm 2 x 10 Avatar cabinet. Just the combo for small gigs, total package to get loud.
  14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Of the choices listed... Ampeg.
  15. I cant seem to find the ampeg anywhere. I live in Birmingham UK so could any of you give me some dealers near by please? The website is so american orientated (no offence).
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i loved it!

granted i was very hestitant, cause i played another GWillis at another store, and hated the way it was setup.

but this one was properly setup, and played wonderfully. neck was very comfortable, and had good balance making it sit nicely on my lap. the tone was only so-so. i had to lower the trebs a bit to relieve the overly sizzly, boxy high end. but then again, i'm not a big fan of the Bart preamps.

it'd make a great no.1 bass. if i didnt have my Roscoe fretless on order, i just might have picked up that willis.
  17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Other, you won't get better (for the money)!
  18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    other: ashdown eb 12...
    otherwise ampeg...
  19. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You omitted the G-K MicroBass 150
    For shame!
    When used with an extension cabinet, you get 150 watts RMS of G-K punchy, clean ,well-eq'd tone and it will
    kick some serious ass!
    I use my 150S with either a Genz-Benz 112T or Flite
    112MH- plus my "secret" sauce signal chain including BOSS LMB-3 & GEB-7, etc.
    Oh man, it sounds so good it hurts!
    I vote "Other"