Best auto-wah (auto wah, autowah) or dynamic envelope filter for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by demackay, Mar 14, 2010.

1. demackay

demackay

Jan 21, 2007
    Looking for good auto-wah sound for slapping. I have an EH Bassballs, but I find the applications to be very limited. Can people share their experiences with other filter effects they've used? MXR? EBS? Thanks!

2. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    another envelope filter thread! gotta love `em!

personally i love my emma discumbobulator , also a q tron plus does it for me..

did you know you can tweak the two trimpots inside the bassballs ??

3. i have heard tons of great stuff about the 3leaf audio groove regulator. its well priced and looks pretty versitile

4. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Mar 5, 2010
    Anyone have experience with the EH Enigma Qballs?

5. +1 for GR when slapping - it works great with the old thump n pluck

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Filters are pretty subjective. I loved my old Q-tron but now I'm eying the Groove Regulator in hopes of a more "tasteful" pedal. I wasn't crazy about the AF-9 or the Bass IQ when I tried them. The AF-9 seemed a little bland compared to the Q-tron and the Bass IQ seemed a little thin. The MXR Bass Auto Q was good, a little tamer than the Q-tron though not boring, but I really insist on both up and down sweeps because I really don't want to start collecting multiple filters, and 9 volt operation is a major plus.

When I tried the Maxon and EBS I still had the Q-tron and A/Bed them. I'm not sure if the comparison kept me from appreciating each pedal for it's own qualities as I kept reinforcing my expectations for the Q-tron's sound. After trading away the Q-tron my experience with the MXR was very different. I liked it fine and appreciated it's more subtle nature. Maybe my tastes have matured. I did after all get a bit tired of the Q-tron and had stopped using it very much. Or maybe my head just spins in cycles. I do notice when A/Bing equipment that my ears expectations will make one piece of gear sound bad after a switch until I adjust.
    Don't mind me....

7. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The Mutron III is really the only envelope filter that has worked for me.

8. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    theres no best but there are some recomendable(sp?) ones:

Snow White Auto Wah ( you can build your own of these )
    Emma Discumbobulator
    EH Q-tron and her cousins.
    Vintage Mutron III ( never liked the reissue )
    EH Bass Micro Synth
    Agent 00Funk
    Seamoon Funk Machine
    Dr.Q ( didnt do much for me )
    EBS Bassiq ( Felt slow to respond )

theres too many to list perhaps...

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Groove regulator.

10. bassmasta94

bassmasta94

Jul 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i love my Bass IQ triple envelope filter. It works great, its heavy duty, and sounds great. And it also has many ways to customize your sound to get it exactly what you want. And you can also have an auto wah effect on it. It may be a little pricey, but i absolutely love it.

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...Maxon AF-9 / Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mk II / Moog Bass MuRF / Zvex Ooh Wah II / Subdecay Prometheus...

12. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Excellent envelope filter....love mine.

13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

DOD FX25 and FX25B are interesting options.

14. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I just bought an FX25B and no matter how the knobs are set, it absolutely murders the clean bass tone before the filter opens; like a wet blanket over the speakers.
    Complete trash as to what it does before the effect hits; effect itself is not bad though.
    Bought this so that the very clean Mutron could remain at home; don't need a huge amount of effect, just some moderate wha sound but not at the expense of the original signal.

15. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Commercial User

Oct 1, 2007
    PNW, USA
    Warmoth - Marketing Director
    Indeed.

I researched auto-wahs for a long time, and I was this close (pinching fingers together in front of one eye) to getting an Enigma Qballs when I came across the Groove Regulator....made by a guy in my hometown, even.

A couple emails to Spencer, and trip to Bass NW, and now I'm a proud owner. Fantastic pedal.

It avoids all the issues that seem to come up with other auto-wahs: no volume jump, no bass loss, no funky power requirements, small size, and enough control to be creative, but not so much that it becomes cumbersome.

Fantastic pedal.

16. demackay

demackay

Jan 21, 2007
    I listened to the sound clips on the 3Leaf Audio website and I'm very impressed. Beautiful slap and funk tones, and very versatile. I wish it was a little cheaper, but I guess that's true for all good bass equipment. Thanks for the recommendations, all!

17. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    +1 for groove regulator (can't say anything bad about this filter, sound good for everything: slap, finger, mute and synth with fuzz)

+1 Vintage Mutron III (the abs best IMHO but volume control is an issue, have to learn how to use the dynamics and its pricey)

The MXR M82 sounds great and seems to have a consistent response good for slap, I'd ask Funkinthetrunk for his thoughts on that.

I also think the Qballs does a better synth fuzz than the bass balls, it has to many knobs for some people though. Trim pot adjustments didn't do much for me when I messed with them.

18. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    I got mine at Tone Factor in LA for only $200.

19. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

The M82 sounds good for slap....but better with fingerstyle IMO.

20. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Not many on TB seem to use these, but the Mad Prof Snow White Auto Wah is a really good one.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021