Best auto-wah (auto wah, autowah) or dynamic envelope filter for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by demackay, Mar 14, 2010.

1. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    As far as auto wahs go, I love my MXR Bass Auto Q. That thing is a killer. I bought it like the day it came out, used it a bajillion times, still looks brand new, has seen a million pedals come and go, and still makes me smile everytime I turn her on!
    Very, very integral part of my sound!

2. GrindYourMind

GrindYourMind

Oct 30, 2008
    I have a wonderful sounding Boss TW-1, it's pretty dang old (from the 80s I'm pretty sure) and it's tone is wonderful, even with it set to be very uninvasive or wet but when it is set to be wild, it's funky for sure. I lurve t

3. guitarbassist

guitarbassist

Mar 20, 2010
    manual for the win, personally, haha :bag:

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Funny how some (a lot ?) of us (including yours truly) have a very intimate relationship with our effects...:rollno:

5. I have had an original EH doctor Q since the late 80's or so. It's kind of an acquired taste. It has a very distinct croak to it. Sounds very good to me with a Jazz or an old Ovation or Guild though a nice fat tube head. When I played a Stingray through it into an eden it was awful!

I also have a bass balls. Boring.
    Surprised not to see the excellent Mooger Fooger Lowpass. I love the sounds I can get with that thing, but I fear that it will utterly destroy my amp/speakers someday! It just goes well far into synth territory (obviously right?) and some of the higher pitched and lower pitched peaks are pretty scary! I also wished the envelope was a knob instead of a fast/slow switch.
    I tried the DOD models and they all had kind of an american cheese flavor to them. That and the envelopes were too fast at all settings. I like to hit a chord and hear it warble out.

6. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Subdecay Prometheus http://www.subdecay.com/product.php?id=1. I simply love this pedal. It's great for getting a techno vibe, but it can also produce funktastic sounds in conjunction with a fuzz (Bogdan Pole Master--->Prometheus---->Amp=best filter sound ever).

7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i've owned and tried a bunch (although there are a TON out there). i ended up settling on the groove regulator and couldn't be happier. i really dug the pigtronix EP-1 (i have one modded with 3 dif mods)...it was a swiss army knife effect, but it's HUGE.

speaking of which...i should probably sell that modded pigtronix ep-1 which sits in my closet.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021