Best B string under $1500-$2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im curious what you guys think about this. Out of the 5 string basses that sell for under 2k, so like the range of SR5's, thumb bolt ons.. and so on, which ones have the best B strings?

What defines good? Tight, responsive, clear tone, equal in volume to other strings.
  2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    So far in my bass journey, I would answer:

1.) Used Roscoe LG-3005
    2.) Used Modulus Q5
    3.) Used Lakland (classic) 55-94
    4.) Sadowsky Tokyo RJ5
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall Afterburner I. By far.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was going more for that price range NEW so used would be around 800-1500.

Main reason being; i really want a Roscoe custom built, but i might be buying a new car/upgrading that a little so the Roscoe may wait a year or two, and id get a more affordable 5'er to hold me over.
  5. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Easy, don't buy anything for awhile, and save :)

Seriously though, I had several warick 5 strings. If you like the "tone of wood" then they are great. The B on the Streamer Stage 1 I had was awesome, but that is outside your "new range." I'd assume Lakland 55-02 are good, if they are anything like the USA version. I had a MM5 that was really good as well. I've not had good luck with any Fender 5s.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont liek Fenders either. You have my dream bass.. an LG3005... (i have a thread about my GAS for one).

I MIGHT not buy a bass for a while and just get the Roscoe when i can.
  7. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My Warwick Infinity Set Neck 5 was about $1800 I believe. If you don't mind bolt on, there are a few Warwicks.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I enjoy bolt ons. Im just not sure if buying a bass would just set me back from my goal of a Roscoe.

9. diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    My new Lakland Darryl Jones 5 is pretty impressive B-wise...
  10. I'd agree on the Dingwall AB I. SR5s are very good IME as well as the Roscoe Beck V.

Pretty much anything goes used in that range.
  11. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Boggle! Don't settle, just save up for what you want.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the insight. I tihnk i will, even if it hurts and my gas for a 5 string gets strong. My sterling is amazing and i should have no problem waiting to get a new bass. If i get my new car ill have plenty to do to keep me busy.
  13. Hands down---Dingwall Afterburner I
    Clear articulate B string.
  14. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Check out the Spector lineup. The Rebop 5 has a B that crushes to my ear....although I am stuck in my metal rut so take my opinions with a grain of very loud salt. The Roscoe B is to my ear the fullest B I have yet to hear. The price is steep but saving for such an ax would provide a lifetime of enjoyment. If you need a quick fix I think that Spector would do well and above all else if your ear likes what it is hearing then by all means buy it!
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive been there and dun that, used to own a spector 5er

not my thing.
  16. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    The B string on my Bossa OB-5 outplayed everything I compared it to in a high end Nashville bass room until I got to a $4500 Ken Smith. (This was in late 1996.) I've seen them go for stupid cheap when they pop up used.
  17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Used F-Bass BN5.
    Used Sadowsky Metro
  18. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 to Frank, Geoff, and Burning Skies :)
  19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Metros, skylines, and ray5s all have very good low Bs ... and if you buy any of those used you'll be able to resell it when its time to get the Roscoe without really taking a loss.

My advice: go buy Kevin Lane's JO5 with sadowsky pre thats been in the classifeds for AGES, I have no idea why it hasn't sold.
  20. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    I used to have a Yamaha Nathan east sig. I got for $850 used. It had the best B by far of any bass I've owned, and there have been alot.