1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best B string under $600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Oct 16, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    So after much talk about not liking B strings I have ended up needing one in my current band. I tried a few basses with quiet and muddy sounding B's and want the most volume and clarity for under 600 bucks. I understand it won't be perfect but work with me...

600 is pushing it so feel free to recommend cheaper. I played a yamaha bb425x that I really liked and I've played some ibanez soundgears with a useable b. I had a guy offer to trade a 5 string rockbass streamer but I've heard mixed things about those. For the record, I've done searches but need more info!

Here is the criteria:
    Even volume on B string
    Passive pickups
    600 (preferably less)
    I usually stick with P basses and occasionally a Jazz

Thanks!!!

2. Used Lakland 55-01 if you can find one will be at the end of your budget.

3. I'm assuming that by saying "passive pickups" you actually mean no preamp. Too bad, because I'd suggest a used Ray35 or a new Ray5. If you want passive, consider a Squier VM Jazz V.

4. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion but with shipping I doubt I could afford it. I'd also like to stay away from anything active. I've tried numerous active basses (across all price ranges) and have never gotten along with them. Love the sound other guys can get but for my style and needs passive is the way to go.

How are the SX 5 strings? Can the low B hang with the other strings? I need the bass for 4-5 songs so it won't be my main player. I could stand to go ultra cheap if it will get me by with a decent B. doesn't have to be amazing, just loud and clear enough to not get lost compared to other strings.

5. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Yes, no preamp. Pickup volume(s) and a master tone are all I need.

6. I really like my SX Jazz 5. Yes the B is good, but so is the rest. Just an overall good Jazz bass. String spacing is tighter than a Fender (or Squier) so you may or may not like that aspect. For me I liked it better.

Here's a pic:

IMG-20130922-00777_zpsf8bb1759.

7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I wouldnt pay 10.00 dollars for a B string much less 600.00...:bag:

8. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Yamaha BB425x
    - alder body
    - AlNiCo split with ceramic single pickups
    - 1/4 inch more recessed B string saddle to adjust intonation
    - stringthru system bridge
    - 21 fret rosewood fingerboard with 5 laminate bolt-on neck.

I really think you've got it all

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    probably a squier 70's reissue jazz. I personally would grab a used Lakland 55-01 as I find a preamp really useful when taming or magnifying that thunderous lowend.

10. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Used Lakland 55-01. The 35" scale really make a difference with the B string, they're well made, and you can get pretty good jazz-bass-like sound out of it.

11. G&L?

12. For a new bass... Yamaha BB425(x)
    For a used bass... G&L L-2500

A good B string is more of a setup issue than a bass issue almost 100% of the time.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The quality of the B string performance has more to do with setup, bridge type, and string choice than the price of the bass.

Setup - I find a flatter neck with less relief makes for a better B string.

Bridge Type - Some bridges do better and some do worse. Schaller is a good bridge.

String Choice - I find a .125 B performs better than a .130 or .135.

Also turn down the bass and turn up the mids to bring out overtones on the B string.

14. I like what Ric5 says. My 5 is a 96 MIA Jazz- had to glean through several Fenders before hitting a good low B, although again, it may have been more setup-related.

15. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    check out a Spector legend classic or custom or NS2000/5

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The old import MTDs with the Music Man style humbuckers have great B strings. Squier Affinity J-Bass Vs have great B strings, and used MIA Peavey Millenniums have great B strings, but their prices have started to creep up.

17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Maybe time to explore different strings?

18. A used Carvin.

19. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
  20. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    an older Ibanez SR885 mij