1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best B String???????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by relman, Jan 23, 2001.

1. which is your fav B string?

2. D'Addario Slowound, but that has to be qualified by saying that some B's seem better on some basses than on others. I have tried all sorts, and on MY bass, the Slowound beats all others. I used to have a Stingray 5, and the Ernie Balls were the best for that bass (funny, that!)

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Have you tried other D'Addario's? I posted a question about this earlier, but no one responded. What guage is the B string? The EXL-170's I'm using now have a .130 B that sounds pretty good. I think a .135 would be too thick, but I don't know. What do you think?

4. On MY bass, the Slowounds have more character and a sweeter voice, plus the B is well-defined. I have tried XL's, Ernies, Boomers, Rotos, SITs, Labellas, Prisms, Loriders, Fenders, etc. None were bad, well the Fenders and Boomers were, but they were all a bit bland compared to the Slowounds. That is not to say they wont sound any good on your bass, though. The Slowound is a .130 with a tapercore.

5. I got a .140 B on my bass right now....and it´s too floppy...I´m getting a set of Conklin Snakeskins soon the B is a .127

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was like Marty - Slowounds are the best I've ever tried, But I thought I ought to try some other sets, so have just been evaluating Thomastik-infeld. I still prefer the sound of the Slowounds, but the Thomastik set has a 118 B and I do like the feel of this better and am thinking the the 130 B on the Slowounds always felt too big in comparison with the other strings - or maybe it's just that a narrower gauge suits my particular bass.

I want to go back to Slowounds but would really love a narrower gauge B - I checked everywhere on the internet, but it seems D'Addario only do 130 Bs for Slowounds. I emailed D'Addario about this, but have had no reply yet.

7. Hi Bruce, I've just ordered a set of TI's for my six, and the gauges are .033-.136, so they're bigger than the Slowounds. I hope I have'nt made an expensive mistake. My bass is very bright, maple body with Alembic pup and preamp, so I'm hoping they'll combat that. There's nothing wrong with the Slowounds, I just thought I'd try the Jazz Flats to see if they're better (especially for latin, you know).