Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bag End Combination w/Eden WT-550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Would the resident Bag End experts please offer some advice on the best combination of BE cabs to go with the Eden WT-550? I was originally thinking an S15D plus S15XD, but I'm wondering if there is a less expensive combination that would still give me a nice, well rounded frequency response.

Maybe S12D plus the S15D, etc...

I'm playing rock, jazz, a little slapping with a B to C six string.

Thanks!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd say the S15X-D with an S15-D or an S12-D will be your best bet. I prefer the 2nd combination but i woudl try it with your 6 to be sure you like the way the b sounds thru that combo. I'm pretty sure you'll want the coaxial 15, but if you can live without it that will save you the most bread. If you can't find a place near you to try out all of those combos give me a holler on pm or e-mail. If you don't mind the drive you can come down to milford music (next to new haven), and/or try out my 12 and 15 and 210 if ya want.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd go with at least one coax S15X-D... you can use it for small to medium gigs by itself. Add either of the speakers IvanMike mentioned and you're set.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

5. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Hi IvanMike and Brad,

I used a friend's Ampeg B-100R combo this weekend and loved the tone! :bassist: It does not have a tweeter. Therefore, since I like how that combo sounds, do you think I would not miss the coax S15X? I bought a S15-D recently extremely cheap and think it sounds great. I want to buy a 2nd Bag End cabinet to make a pair for large venue.

Thank you :)

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you might not miss it. Like i posted elsewhere, i found the 12+15 more my thing than the 15+15 due to the extra hi mids i got from the 12. But honestly, any way you combine those 3 speakers you cant go wrong.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You might not miss it. OTOH I have both (the Ampeg and the BEs) and I wouldn't give either up.

The coax BE doesn't have the exaggerated tweeter sound of most cabs, it's a more natural sounding high end IMO.

BTW I think I just got another friend of hooked on the B100-R:D. I ran into him at Atomic Music last week. After listening to him using the amp, I showed him how I set mine up and handed him my BN6 F Bass. He was stunned