Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best balance between quality and price in terms of rack cases?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Oct 6, 2004.

1. I'm looking for a 6 space rack case...don't really require anything insane like the shockmount stuff, but I've heard of some ****ty rack cases that will not hold up at all...

What are some good brands/styles to look for? I'm trying to keep it around 100 (or less if possible)

Thanks

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Ive had 2, 4 and 6 space gator cases for over a year and they hold up as well as my skb cases. They are at least 1/3 or close to half of what skb cost. Look at the used market as well.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    used skb 6 spacesn go for about 77 bucks avg according to prepal

4. I´d bet there are some small companies making rack cases in your area. I´d look around (yellow pages?) and ask for prices.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Look on-line at www.musicgoround.com to see if the Greenfield, WI or Kenosha, WI Music Go Round stores have any. I've gotten some pretty good deals on nice used SKB cases from both stores. I think I paid $40 for a 6 space at one store and $50 for an 8 space at another...both had covers, no cracks and even came with hardware.

I forget the name of the store, but there's a nice ratty gear store down 1st or 2nd street. It's south of Allen-Bradley a ways but the clock tower is clearly visible.

If you're south of the border, the Buffalo Grove, IL Sam Ash sells CNB brand cases that are a knock-off of SKBs and a lot cheaper.

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    How about the CNB rack cases rondo sells?

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I prefer the weight to durability ratio that SKB's stuff provides. Also the rubber gasket on the endcaps has saved my gear from a watery grave more than once.