Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best balanced bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VoodooChile, Jun 26, 2002.

1. i'm kinda starting to get irritated with the not to noticible but ever present neck dive on both of my basses and was wondering what you guys thought was the best balancing 6 string bass you've played.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Easy (for me): Le Fay Pangton 6 headless - one of the most ergonomic basses I've ever had the honour to play (sounds f****ing awesome too).

www.lefay.de

[​IMG]

3. 2 questions for you

how much are they?

can i get them in america?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is a translation of an email I got from Matz (Le Fay webmaster) last week:

...Pangton oiled (pure wenge madness):
    - 4er: 2400 EUR
    - 5er: 2500 EUR
    - 6er: 2650 EUR
    - bleeeching and coloring: 100 EUR plus

Pangton sandwich high-gloss (selected woods in sandwich construction, high-gloss finish):
    - 4er: 3050 EUR
    - 5er: 3250 EUR
    - 6er: 3350 EUR

production time: 2-3 months

You can only order directly from Reiner and Matz in Germany, since Reiner builds them on his own and only sells on custom order.

email Matz for more info: preise@le-fay.com

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ah, Le Fay... still want one of those. The GAS, the GAS...

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Get a good strap. Problem solved.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i'm kinda starting to get irritated with the not to noticible but ever present neck dive on both of my basses

what are your basses? more info please

8. peavey cirrus 6 string and a '95 tobias 6 string fretless. i have two good straps but it's still bothering me. i always feel this irritating forward pull on my left shoulder that after a while hurts like a bastard.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's wild, Voodoo. I've spent a lot of time with both of those basses and haven't seen that with either. I use a Zon strap that's suede on the underside and a 3" leather Levy strap. Both hold the bass wherever I put it.

10. it's not really that bad on the tobias and even if it was it's way too good of a bass that i would get rid of it but the peavey is starting to get on my nerves not only because of the neck dive but it's just not my style in terms of tone or feel. i would replace it but i'm already raising money for my bergantino/eden rig and that's a priority for me.

11. A Warwick Corvette variant has never neck dived on me, even with a cheesy 2" nylon web strap. I remember a Gene Simmons quote in his "Bass Player" interview in which he says that the instrument should remain stock still on you even when letting go of it; should remain unmoving like a piece of furniture...or something like that. Anyway, I guess at some lvel I took that to heart. Lord knows Gene isn't exactly a bassgearhead like us.
    Warwick does, (of course) claim that their Corvette design is one of the best balanced basses on the market, and their website will give you prices in USD as well as the Euro.

12. In general, I'd say go for a headless design if you want the absolute best balance. I've owned lots of basses, but nothing that balanced like my headless David King.

Mike

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was going to say Steinberger, but as far as 6ers go, a PBC 6 headless.

My current Peavey balances fine too, though.

14. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    at least 3 people that have tried my peavey cirrus have commented on how nicely balanced it was.

i wonder if the variable is how high/low one wears the bass?
    or maybe the shape (or lack of shape) of the shoulders?? :D

hi brad, how's it going~ ...i'm still loving the ashdown!

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My MM SR5 balances perfectly.

16. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    You could try the Ulralight from hipshot, or any other light weight tuning keys for that matter. With a litter headstock, I bet those nose dive will disappear.

take care

17. - thicker strap
    - lighter tuners
    - move rear strap-button

either that, or live with it :)

b.t.w.

Dean Edge Q6 has superior balance.

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  19. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    My sei flamboyant 6 is the nicest balanced bass i've tried.

www.Seibass.co.uk

However i've never heard of neck dive problems with the two basses you mention :confused:

peace

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md