best bang for buck for $100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TooL_051685, Jan 19, 2005.

1. TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    i'm new to playing bass and i currently have an esp f-104
    i was wondering whats the best bang for buck combo for $100
    i've looked at a couple used fenders but i was wondering if i buy something new for $100 what would be the best.

customers from musiciansfriend have written these great reviews for drive combos, claiming that they are great for the price. I've never heard one of these amps before. I know that drive makes a 30 watt for $100, but it seems rather sketchy.

later on down the road when i have some more money saved up i'll be looking at the GK's, ampeg, and perhaps MESA's,
    but for now i need a quality practice amp. i don't need any special features, just the basic EQ and gain. i just want something i can turn up 1/2 way without getting lots of unwanted distortion
  2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    In my opinion, start by thinking how far down the road you'd be looking at GK, ampeg, or mesa. If it's not too far away, I'd just pick up a cheapie off of ebay. I've seen some amps go for less than $20, but they're nothing great. Also, are you in a band? How much power are you looking for? Just a prewarning: if you buy a $100, you will most likely not get much for it if you decide to sell down the road. I'd almost recommend saving up for a little while.

Another thing, buying used is a good thing (98.5% of the time). Don't exclude something because it's used. You'll find you lose less money buying used as well.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I thought I'd post it anyway and see.
  3. TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    well it'd probly be around a year from now before i start looking at those, because all my money right now is being saved to get a more reliable car. but i need some sort of amplification for now

i'm not in a band and dont have intentions of playing with anyone except for maybe a friend on guitar who only has a 40 watt amp anyway

and used is fine with me but used also has varying prices
    and i was just wanting someone to recommend a brand and model number that i can find

so it doesent matter, new or used, i just want the best i can get for around $100
  4. Peavey Microbass
    Fender bassman 25

You could probably find either one used on ebay for $100 or less.
  5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Behringer's are usually a pretty good value. This one is $80 with free shipping. It's only 15 watts though.

I'd recommend peavey combos to be honest. You can usually find them all over pawn shops and on ebay. One of my first amps was a small peavey combo, I liked it so much. When I was going to sell it and buy another amp, I ended up just buying another peavey--same size and power, just newer.
  6. TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    thanks for all the help guys taking all these into consideration and placing bids, any more input(other brands, models) would be great.
  7. boardingpyro

Nov 25, 2004
    I want to sell a combo, but i dont want this thread to change to a buy/sell so pm me if you are interested... I'll give you the details.
  8. TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    im seriously considering the 30 watt behringer bx300.
    seems like a steal for $125 shipped

im gonna go to a music store and play through one before i buy it, tho

i know they are out of my price range, but can anyone tell me a website that has the best prices on ashdowns?

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Second the Peaveys. A gool old used TKO would blow the doors off that Behringer. When I was looking for a practice amp that I could occasionally use as a small-gig amp, I tried the Behringer but ended up with a TKO115 in mint shape for not much more. The Behringer is not bad for the price, but the Peavey combos are absolutely the best value out there and reliable too.

You don't see many other 20 yr old amps out ther in the classifieds and Ebay. The Peaveys don't die.
  10. TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    thanks for the input. the only peavy i can find in my price range, new or used, is the microbass. a few people from this forum have already recommended that. However, i did read some reviews of the microbass and many people said that the amp was great but the 8" speaker just couldnt handle the low end. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the microbass?
  11. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    i would put the microbass against a behringer 30 watter any day. any small combo you get will not carry much low end. low end takes power, lots of power. try and find an old peavey tko 80. you might get lucky and find one in your price range. if not the microbass is about the best bang for the buck small combo you can find. and you can keep it around the house as a practice amp when you get a bigger rig.