Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bang For Buck, portable, one cab + rack system?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Apr 27, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I am considering a system matching the above requirements and this is my currently preferred possible solution:

Preamp - SansAmp RBI (or second hand F-1X or SVP-Pro)
    Power Amp - QSC RMX1850HD
    Speaker Cab - Epifani T-310 (possibly second hand, if I can find one)

Anyone out there have a similar system or want to comment?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    for the price of that one Epi cab, you could prolly get two nice Aguilar 1x12's for some really earth movin' bass, that's mucho easier to carry.

but of course, we've heard this same ol' song & dance for a while now, havent we? :p

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, I knew that was coming.
    For the very bottom couple of octaves, I like the Agie 12s, but prefer the punch and midrange clarity of good 10s.

[I suspect two GS112s (or T-112s) on one channel and a T-310 on the other would be awesome!]

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'll be able to let you know that outcome in a few days. A friend of mine is holding my Epi 212 in temporary trade for his Epi 310. I'm gonna match the 310 up with my other Epi 212's. Should quiver a liver or two.

There is a recurring theme lately with 10 and 12 inch speakers used in combo (Whappo, Berg 322) Folks tend to like it. Tom Bowlus recently acquired an Epi 110 to accompany his Epi 112 and he loves it. If Epifani made a 110+112 + tweeter cab, I bet it'd be AWESOME!!! I say that because I am very fond of the sound those cabs make. Just the right color and everything.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, what Mario said... :D

FWIW, in my Big Rig, I currently also use 10's and 12's together (Mesa Boogie 4x10 and Eden 212XLT), which sound very good together.

Tom.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I should add, however, that if I were going to go for a single cab, unless it was for a very small gig (where my 23 lbs Epifani T-110UL is a real joy), I would heavily consider one of the Accugroove cabs. The Mini Whappo was very comparable to my Epi T-112/T-110UL combo, and I am considering replacing my 4x10/2x12 setup with a Whappo, Jr.

Tom.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes, please let us know how it sounds.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It seems like you are kind of limiting yourself with the "one cab" approach. You would be more portable, IMO, if you broke your cabs into two.

Then you could use the lighter 2 x 112, or 112 + compact 115, or even some 2 x 210, or 115 + 210 options.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I consider about 70lbs. to be pushing the upper limit of my definition of portable (I have a weak lower back).

I bet most of the AccuGrooves sound really good.
    I would very much like to hear a Tri 112 together with a Tri 110 (BUT...a retail price of $2005.00...Ouch; I haven't won the lottery yet). I am also surprised that the Whappo Jr. doesn't use one or two 10s (or 8s) for the mid-bass instead of another 12 (go figure).

I do believe that well designed and implemented three or four-way speaker systems should have an advantage over regular bass cabs in terms of accuracy. Still, portability and cost are major concerns for lots of us bassists.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I am also still considering something like the Agie GS112 + GS210 combination. These two cabinets really complement each other well. I would prefer Epifanis, if I can find them second hand or Bergie HT115 + HT210.

[I have yet to hear a 15 or 12 system that I didn't feel needed some 10s or 8s to make them sound punchy enough for my taste (haven't heard the EA CxL-112L yet though).]

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    "I am also surprised that the Whappo Jr. doesn't use one or two 10s (or 8s) for the mid-bass instead of another 12 (go figure)."

In designing this cabinet, we tried everything; it was not just thrown together. Myron Dove (Santana) & Polo Jones (Eric Clapton) beta tested different versions of our Jr. They found that sound wise the 12" mid-woofer won hands down over 10" speakers or anything else. It's louder, more in-your-face & cleaner. It also happens to handle twice the power of most 10" speakers & is more reliable for THIS application.

[​IMG]

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    lo-freq:

Keep in mind, the Mini Whappo (which has a 10, an 8, a 6 and two tweeters) is just 65 lbs. If I was not specifically looking for a two cab setup, I would have chosen it over the two Epifani cabs. The sound and overall volume was very similar, but the Mini Whappo was less colored and brought out a bit more detail.

I was also able to make a direct comparison between the Mini Whappo, the Whappo Jr., and the Epifani T-310 (among other cabs). I found the Accugrooves to be much more articulate than the T-310, and they had a very even response across the frequency spectrum, where to my ears the T-310 had definite peaks and valleys. Interestingly, the T-112/T-110UL also blew the T-310 out of the water (to my ears, at least) with regard to clarity and even response.

In general, I really like the combination of 10's and 12's. Their strengths and weaknesses complement each other. The Accugroove's seem to be somewhat of an exception. The Whappo, Jr. does not sound like a 2x12. Actually, to me its sounds a lot like the Mini Whappo, just a little bit louder, and with more power in the low end. Their cabs are all very much full range, from what I can tell. Don't rule out the Tri 208, either. If you have the juice for it, it goes to 35Hz, and only weighs a tad over 40 lbs.

Later, Tom.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Maybe I will have an opportunity to hear one someday.

I don't doubt what you say, my comment is just based on my (somewhat) limited experience which is why I said above "I have yet to hear a 15 or 12 system that I didn't feel needed some 10s or 8s to make them sound punchy enough for my taste."

Maybe one (or more) of AccuGroove's cabs will be the one(s) that change my mind. Wish they weren't out of my price range at the moment.
    [I am sure they are worth the money, if they give you the tone you are after.]

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It sounds like we are very much in agreement, just you haven't had a chance to hear Accugrooves yet.:D

If you do go the 12(s) with 10(s) route, one very cool thing about Epifani and EA (and maybe some others by now) is the option of getting "ultra light" cabs which use lighter drivers and wood. Check out the Epifani web page. Their T-210UL is only 39 lbs! Heck, the T-610UL is only 89 lbs! I don't think that Epifani has their ultra light 12's out yet, but it would have been nice to shave 11 lbs off of my T-112...

Later, Tom.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the input. The more easily portable, the better. Sounds like I need to check out the T-112 + T-110 combination.

I probably should hear them. I'm a bit concerned they may ruin me for anything else.
    But, hey, I am not sure what life without GAS would be like.

Thanks again, Tom.

16. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I wanted light and portable

I got a QSC PLX 1202 for $399 from musician's friend

Sans amp bass driver for a preamp, which I arleady had ($180?)

ampeg portabass 2x12 ($585)

Not all that cheap, becasue of the portabass cab, but i'f I'd wanted to get an avatar cab I could have had the whole deal for about 700

The portabass cab is expensive, but worth it for the ease and convenience. And I like the tone a lot--very ampegish, and can get very close to the tone of my beloved b-15, but at higher volumes

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You should hear my rig:D

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Wish I could.

You wanna visit Texas?

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet two T-112 together with two T-110 would sound great; run each pair off its own power amp channel (say a QSC PLX3402 or PL236). Highly portable. Bring the whole enchilada for big gigs or only what you need for others.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your proposed rig would sound good.