Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bang for Buck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Aug 13, 2001.

1. If was playing with two guitarist who were using 80 watt marshall amps, what do you think would be a good head to give me enough power to be heard? Would an HA3500 or an HA4000 suffice? What about if they were using 100 watt amps? Is there a cheaper alternative, perhaps Carvin or Peavey?

2. what kind of 80w marshall amps, halfstacks, full stacks, tube, ss, All of this matters. The difference between 2x80w and 2x100w isnt that great of a difference, and i dont even think you'd be able to hear the difference. as to the hartke's you brought up, post the specs. not everyone knows what those are off hand, and what type of speakers do you plan on running those heads though? Just a side note about best bang for buck, imho buying used peavey is the BEST value you can get, because Peavey gear has almost no resale value, so you could pick it up pretty cheap.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    With the right cabinets, those Hartkes amps (350 or 400 watts into 4 ohms) should keep up pretty well with those Marshalls.

Personally, I'd take a Carvin or Peavey over ANY Hartke but that's personal taste.

Also consider buying used. If you look you can actually find used Ampeg SVT heads for the price of a new Hartke 4000 and there is no comparison between the two!

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Agree entirely. As things stand today, IMO the bigger Peaveys and the Carvins are not just cheaper alternatives to Hartkes but substantially *superior* ones. As always, of course, YMMV.

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    did u see the bang for the buck poll???

:)