1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stewart8980, Sep 4, 2008.

1. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    ok, ive been playig for over a year now, and for school I'd like a good amp for under $200. Preferrably a smaller good quality amp than a big crappy one.

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Used Carvin or Peavey.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    G-K?

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  5. Used GK BL600. Got mine used for 200, haven't had a single problem with it and when I can afford something else I plan on keeping this one.

6. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    that yorkshire bass amp or whatever, looks promising. Thanks!

7. Not sure what the prices are over there ,but I have for my practise amp and Ashdown Electric Blue 130. Grest wee amp, portable as hell and 130 watts into a 15" speaker does the trick!!

A long time ago, I hankered after a Peavery TNT combo, they ticked all my boxes and if you are in th eUS....these may be more readily available. They're about twice the size though...but pretty much indestructable!!:bassist:

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm still not sure what brand this combo is.
    I couldn't find any info about Celestion or a company named "Pro Stage" selling amps.

At this combos $200 shipped price, I'd expect to be very disappointed.
    I'd suggest you contact the seller to confirm the brand and model # so we can accurately research it a bit more.

9. %#$ it. It's got "Front Mounted Low End Distributor Sound Ports." It must be awesome!

But in all seriousness, I don't think I would go for that bad boy. You've got 200 bucks. Head to Guitar Center, try out an Acoustic combo. Stay off ebay unless you really know what you want/are doing.

EDIT: How did I miss this?!!?

"Flat Mesh Grill for Superior Projection Angle"
    "ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED LOUD!!"

I'm buying one, right now!! I'll report back on the projection angle after my next rehearsal.

EDIT 2: It only gets better

"Check out any musical instrument website. You will find nothing of this quality for this price! Check the wattage of the amplifier when comparing...this one will probably have DOUBLE the wattage as amplifiers that are twice the price. This amp has a 12" CELESTION WOOFER!! This amp will knock you over!! When you buy a bass amp always look at the speaker size. The bigger the more punch your going to get!! This one is HUGE!!"

"This amp is totally huge in bass tone. Totally scorching sub tones! IT'S THE ONLY BASS AMP YOU WILL EVER NEED!!

This amp is truly the best value for this reason...this is not only a bass amp. It has an RCA tape in jack that you can hook into to play CD's at parties or at the club!! It doesn't stop there! This amp has TWO (2) inputs!!!"

Geeze, I could have a rocking party AND then play bass, plus, two inputs. S%$t.

10. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Yorkshire or GK come to mind

Todd :)

11. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    yeah i went back and thought it over after my last post but was too lazy to edit :D

how about this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo-104813779-i1399998.gc

also, I don't really unterstand the dimension system on amps. what does 1x15 mean? (im stuped)

12. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    It means it has 1 15 inch speaker.

13. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    ah. thanks.

14. Definitely check out the Acoustic combos. The B100 is cool, the B200 is cooler. I wasn't making fun of you in my previous post, just to clarify; just thought that ad was hilarious. Best of luck. Definitely use your ears to tell you what sounds good toyou.

15. wildcard

wildcard Guest

For fifty bucks more , check out the Nemiss N15 combo, it's a better amp , with a more modren tone, & it's a lot lighter also.

16. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    no worries, I was laughing as well :D