1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lukebass82, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lukebass82

lukebass82

Jul 18, 2010
    south carolina
    Hello fellow tb'ers I've got a de lima I need help with. I currently run a b2r that pushes 350 watts this thing is quite ancient so its time for an upgrade. My limit is around 500 give or take and would prefer new bc I've never owned new equipment before. Is there any suggestions? I play a variety of music but mostly rock. Any help would be great.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    GK MB500
    You can get them for 475 new with warranty on eBay. They pump a very loud 500 watts and weigh about 5 lbs. Good tone. That's how I'd roll.

3. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    You could go the power amp route, something like a Peavey IPR-1600. Class D, lots of power, under 11 lbs. I think the IPR-1600 costs around $350 new. But they only have a volume control. You'd have to shape your tone with a pedal or something in front of it.

4. If you want to go new I would check out the rack mount heads Peavey has out right now. They come in different flavors, 450, 600 or 700 watts. None of them are micro heads, but they are all VERY light for Peavey gear.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's exactly what I came in to say. You can even get them cheaper from Musicians Friend or other large web retailers if you play around with coupon codes and rebate programs.

6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    NFN, but... all the old B2R's that I played sounded pretty darn good. Nice amps. Why is it time for an upgrade? Something about it you want to change? Needing more headroom? Just curious... more info would get you better advice...

7. Agreed. I have mine in a SKB 6U rack with a Korg DTR - 2000 and have no problems moving it around. It's a great amp, and the graphic EQ is great for tone shaping.

photocopy2.

8. lukebass82

lukebass82

Jul 18, 2010
    south carolina
    I don't mind the tone I have but need more wattage at the least.

9. If you shopped used you could get a higher end amp for a lot less then new.

10. lukebass82

lukebass82

Jul 18, 2010
    south carolina
    I suppose your right I might check out gc used equipment and see what I can find

11. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Maybe. Maybe not.
    What cab(s) are you using?
    Like I said... more info gets you better advice. :bassist:

12. lukebass82

lukebass82

Jul 18, 2010
    south carolina
    Sorry bout that I'm running it with a goliath 3 8ohm. I love the cab so I'm not really wanting to change that side of it.

13. Add another matching cab........

Adding speakers always wins over adding wattage.

14. lukebass82

lukebass82

Jul 18, 2010
    south carolina
    If I can pick one up at a good price that would be wise. But I always wonder if it would e too many speakers unless I got a 210

15. If you want a 2X10, then it needs to be in this format: 4 ohm 4X10, and a 8 ohm 2X10

And a head than can handle a 2.67 ohm load.

Anything else, and you are running double the wattage into the 2X10 speakers.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This is the answer, right here. Add a matching cab, then you ARE getting full wattage PLUS cab coupling for the total win.

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carvin BX500 (around 400 bucks devlivered) and Ampeg PF-500 (400 bucks at GC) are both great class D amps. I'd go to GC and compare the Ampeg to the GK, then decide if you want to compare the Carvin vs the winner. It's sounds like a bit of effort but it's your amp! All three are good amps, although different. The Markbass LMIII can be had for under 600 so you might want to try that also.

18. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Ampeg PF500

19. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup. Nuff said

20. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    OK Maybe that wasn't enough.

I currently run a 2 ohm stable GB amp with 2-112, 8 ohm cabs. If I needed more volume, I would add another set of identical 8 ohm 2-112 cabs. I would not, however, first try a 1000, or 2000 watt amp. Move more air.