1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bang for the buck P-J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by renniw, Aug 1, 2007.

1. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    The title says it all....

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    the one that sounds good to you.

3. i hate answers like that.

the reason we ask is WE DONT KNOW WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE.

and we dont want to/dont have enough money to try them allll out like some lucky people do.

grr.

4. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Thanks Bass junkie, you read my mind when I see answers like that...

I'll post my question in a different way :

POST clips of your P-J basses with the brand of pickups so I can make my mind of the sound I like the best.... Is that better?

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    DiMarzio. The answer says it all...

MM

6. I'm among the 'starving artists' category and like many of you do not have the luxery of trying out every make and model of PJ sets.

In addition, I'm 'soldering challenged' so even if I could get 5 sets of PJ pups I'd have to have someone else installl and uninstall them to try them all out, which would cost me $25 a pop.

So I just trusted in the opinion of fellow TBers and went with the fairly economical DiMarzio DP126 set. I like 'em. They sound good and work for me. :bassist:

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    he/she asked which PJ set is the best bang for buck.
    a set that costs 15 bucks and actually works may be the best bang for buck.
    on the other hand a Nordstrand PJ set may be the best set because it gives someone the sound he hears in his mind which no set he went through has achived so for him the 220$ Nord set is the best bang for buck because everything else doesnt sound right for him.

if you are looking for something specific describe what you are looking for. pickups arent drill bits or refregirators, personnal taste has a lot to do with it.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want a grinding hard rock tone, DiMarzio, or maybe Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder P/J set, Hot Stack J if you want it noiseless (I would). If you want a more vintage tone, I'd get Seymour Duncan SPB-1 with Classic Stack J, or, for more fatness and punch, SPB-2 (Hot) with the Hot Stack noiseless J.

The SPB-2 Hot is a heavily overwound version of a vintage pickup, with extra fat low mids, and attenuated highs. I used one for awhile, and thought it was great overall, but missed the ringing highs of a vintage pickup. If you add a bridge J pickup, you'll get some of those highs back, so it might be a good option for a P/J set.

Both DiMarzio and Duncan have pretty good descriptions on their web sites, so perhaps they can inform your decision.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you have a bass that just doesn't sound good I'd go active, EMG PJ. On the other hand if the bass resonates well any quality brand pickup company should work depending on your tastes. For passive I'm partial to the Duncan Quarter Pounders.

10. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Thanks all for your responses. I'll flip a coin to decide between the DiMarzio DP126 and the Seymour duncan Q_pound + hot stack....

I'll let you know how it go...

11. What about "bill Lawrence" P/ups, Lindy Fralins , ???? Anyone got opinions....? Mightymite, wilkinson???? I've only tried the SD 1/4lb J set- NICE too. But I'm interested in a P set atm. what does everyone think of the above pups?

12. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    When looking for pickups, I was directed ito those brands but I was looking for a lower cost alternative. I live in Quebec, Canada and it's hard to get these brands a low cost because nobody has them on hand and nobody (or almost) wants to deliver stock to Quebec.

P.S. Just found this thread : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342640

Might help to spend some more money....

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    From my own experience, cheap is expensive. You might as well save some money and start doing your homework in terms of defining the sound you are after. Once you realize the sort of sound you are after, then try to get some opinions regarding the route you will achieve that sound. You cannot say that a Ferrari is a better car than a Land Rover, if your aim is to cross the Sahara. IMHO Villex pickups are a way of getting a great sound while staying passive, yet having a great deal of versatility in the system (you still have the option of adding any preamp, but never I needed to engage any pre-amp, so far)

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've heard great stuff about the GFS stuff. I've never heard them personally but some guitarists I correspond with rave about them.

I can recomend the Lawrence P-46 & J-45. At under $120 delivered. It's a superior set to many.

15. Thanx guys - all helpful comments here! Anyone know if the ebay(USA) seller Dusty's guitars- who sells Bill Lawrence Pups is genuine??? They seem OK but are a bit cheaper than buying direct fromk Bill. Anyone?

16. I have a Wilkinson P-pickup ($20 on ebay) in my Yamaha...and a stock J-pickup...

how does it sound? pretty darn good, I think...quality build? no, not really? quality sound? Oh yes, it sounds like a good ol' vintage Fender...remember, 40 years ago, pickups were made pretty much the way the cheap ones are made these days...they had a warmer, rounder sound...that's what the wilkinson has...

I just plain dig my Yamaha...

17. bkief1

bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    www.billlawrence.com is the only place where you can purchase the P-46 & J-45 pickups. Bill does not employ retail outlets.

4Mal notes the superiority of these pickups; I too use both the P-46 and J-45 pickups and would *absolutely* agree with his assessment.

18. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I put a GFS MM in my Carvin B4...big improvement,splittable too!
    I found the EMG select P/J set to be a good cheap hi output replacement for under $50 CDN from Stewmac.

19. Are you looking for a nice gritty rock tone or clean,hifi??