1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bang for the Buck Power Amp (not head)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Looking for a light-weight power amp (not head) to run with a Sans Amp pre-amp. Would prefer 1U (but would do 2U if I have to), under 30 lbs if possible, 900+ watts in bridged mono @ 4 ohms, under $500 new or used. Suggestions? Thanks!

2. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    The new (but have not heard any reviews yet) Crown XTi-1000 is 1400 watts at 4 Ohms bridged, $499.99, and weighs in at 17lbs in a 2U form.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xti-specs.htm

I hear great things about the Carvin DCM series of amps. They have 3 or 4 models under $500 that will get you in the 1000 watt to 1500 watt range at 4 Ohms bridged with weight ranging in the 23lb to 26lb range in a 2U form.

http://www.carvin.com/products/dcmseries.php

I'm sure there are more. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Carvin DCM1000. You can get them real cheap. I had no trouble with mine, which ran bridged at 8 ohms (loud!) for about three years. 25 pounds or so, 1kw into 4 ohms mono.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i picked up a stewart 1.2 for $350 (used). Cant remember how many watts it was bridged (sold it to buy my focus sa) but i think b/n 800 -1000. weighs 13lbs.

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The Stewart World 1.2 bridges 1200 watts into 4 ohms, and weighs 11 pounds (by the spec sheet on the website: I'm not saying your weight figure is wrong!). This would be my first choice for a lightweight power amp.

Good Luck,

6. can't go wrong with Carvin.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    +1

My only complaint is the 1.2 is convection cooled & mine has shut down when it was REALLY hot in the room. But these were pretty extreme tropical conditions that most people would probably not encounter & I was pushing the amp hard. After the second shut down, I eliminated the problem by clipping a small fan onto the rack case and pointing it at the back of the amp. I use mine for PA & bass.

I paid $400 for each of mine on ebay, including shipping.