1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bang for the Combo Buck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffJ2112, Dec 9, 2018.

1. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    My trusty old Ampeg combo had an accident over the weekend. It was the last thing put on the truck(thought I was being smart there), and when it was opened, kerblam, out it fell. Into what seemed to me at the time about a billion pieces.

So I need to very quickly buy a new combo. Rather not just get one for the short term and get a better one later. Prefer 2x10 ones.

Any ideas what I should go for?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Fender Rumble 500. Just great.

G-Dog, JeffJ2112 and GuitarJay like this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The only combo I've owned for many years is a Mesa WA Scout 112 - it's an unbeatable package IMO. These days I find individual components to be super convenient and more flexible. That said, I think GK, Fender and Ampeg seem to hit the spot for many folks based on the reviews I've read. I would expect all three to give good service and from there it would really depend on the specific features and tone you like.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  4. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Jeff, great thread here. You have many choices from numerous companies. If you don't get many responses, and even if you do, stop by the Combo Club for advice from our many experts. A lot of brands are represented in our group and I'm sure we can help you track something down, including a Rumble 500 if you're looking for an amp that size.

JeffJ2112 and Al Kraft like this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

That’s a lotta bucks for the bang. $1000 more bucks.

JeffJ2112 and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    It's definitely pricey, but if you like the WA head (since it's easily removable) and had other cabs, it might look more cost effective. That said, if I were purchasing a combo today, that Fender you mentioned looks mighty attractive and nothing I ever owned with the name Fender on it ever let me down! There seem to be quite a few good gig-worthy options out there these days at very reasonable prices - not just little combos in what one would call the small practice amp category.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    G-Dog and JeffJ2112 like this.
  7. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Problem solved!

My lovely and awesome wife picked up my early xmas gift. A Fender Rumble Stage 800!!

96tbird, G-Dog, GuitarJay and 3 others like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    WOOT! :woot: :bassist: :hyper:

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Awesome wife and combo :thumbsup:

10. JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I'm trying to think of reasons to go home early and play it!

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for tomorrow as we have dinner plans with friends, and the wonderful wife who bought it for me says I can't call of sick.

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Jeepers, you better give her some lovins. You win both ways then! And if she thinks she’s the winner, you’ve got quite a scam running there! :D

JeffJ2112 likes this.