best bang for the $...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nataku, Jun 16, 2005.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    my bands been telling me that i need a new amp (ive really been gasing for a some new basses, but i think this is more essential). weve just started recording on my guitarists laptop with a crappy mic and it sounds pretty horrible. im sure most of it is due to my horrible technique, but my amp clips pretty badly and doesnt sound great on the recording. im using a crate bx100 combo amp. im not really interested in combo amps anymore, i think its time to step up to a half stack or full stack, but probably a half stack. i dont really know much about SS vs. tube, but one of my guitarists has a tube amp and it sounds WAY better than my other guitarists SS amp. but it also has the warm up time before you can play, which isnt a big deal, but its a downside. im not looking for any effects in the amp, and i dont really need natural distortion. does anyone have any advice on brands and sizes of amps and cabs or packages that have the most bang for the $ and best all around sound. i dont want something super trebly or super boomy, but rather something that can do both well, as i switch tones alot. i keep the EQ on my crate like a frown, gradual increase from lows to mids, then gradual decrease from mids to highs. i play a johnson p bass, and a rockbass corvette 4. if anyone has any advice or could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. :help:
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

So how much money do you have to spend? Although it looks like you are trying to get something in the lower price range.
  3. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Avatar 212 cab and shop around for a nice used name brand head with 200-500 watts. Make sure to match ohms between them. Randy
  4. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    im not really looking for a certain price range, but i have a job, im more interested in quality than saving money, but nothing like crazy expensive. as just a general estimate im gonna say like $2000 is the limit for a half stack, but cheaper is always better ;)
  5. clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    What do you mean by a half stack? There are 8's, 10's, 12's, 15's, and 18's to choose from in the bass world. With 2000 dollars, that leaves the door wide open.
  6. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i dont really know anything about amps, so im looking for recommendations on speaker sizes too...
    just best all around everything, i dont really have any guidelines at all.
  7. Jazzin'

for 2000$ you can get a nice loud full stack.
  8. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yeah, but cheaper is always better, and i doubt ill need that much power yet. maybe i can get a halfstack and add another cab later?
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well start with this........

then you can look in the faq sticky at the "how many watts do i need" thread for some more ideas.

best advice is to go try a bunch of stuff and see what you like. to keep from buying something that you'll outgrow quickly i'd suggest getting a head that puts out at least 400 watts into 4 ohms.
  10. Jazzin'

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  12. I'd def go with the Avatar 2x12 with a nice head like a Kustom Groovebass (heard they're good) or a GK. That's under $1000 and VERY loud.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You want versatile tone:
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    You want power:
    You want a very good sounding cab of manageable size & weight:
    Schroeder 21012 (a bit thicker low end) or 410 (very fast & punchy -- still very good lows)
    approximately $1700 - $1800

[You could substitute the RMX850 & Schroeder 1210 in the above system and save about $400.]
  14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Perfect setup!
  15. BINGO! quadzilla strikes again!
  16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What's your point? I only backed up somebody else's recommondation. FACT is, I (and many others) don't think that there is much competition to the Groove Bass in the $500 - $600 price range for a new (not used) head for features, wattage, tone and quality. Only one that I'm aware of in the same league is the GK1001RBII and I've been recommending that too if a more hi-fi tone is your thing vs a more tube like tone with the Kustom. Again, what's your point? I'm just trying to save some fellow TBers some money. You don't have to spend $1000+ on a head to get great tone, features and LOTS of headroom. So excuse me for trying to help others out!

I believe that this thread is titled "best bang for the $". I think that the Kustom meets the definition of the thread title perfectly.
  17. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  18. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Easy tiger, I dont think it was an attack at all.

I would recomend a seperate pre/poweramp, as has already been suggested a few times.
  19. This is the route I'm going in about 2 weeks. For me, it makes sense. Everything else I looked at seemed to be an incremental increase in power (tone being subjective, and all).

20. you have quite a deal of money to spend in my opinion, but I'd say, don't spent it all. You won't need it all to get a good rig, I'd only spend that much if I had a really focused need for some gear at some point, but you don't seem to be to much into amps for the moment, so be cautious with your money. You said you didn't know what you want and how everything works. Well go to a shop on a free day and try some things out, write down what you're playing and how you think it sounds. Try bigger and smaller cabs, 10s en 15s, and talk to the shop personnel, but don't let them influence you too much, especcially in larger chain stores. When you get back, try deciding what was definatly it, and what definatly wasn't, then get back to us, tell us what you liked and disliked and I guess we could give you some tips on setups we'd think would be appropriate.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd get a GK 1001RB and GK neo 410

but that's me