1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass Amp For Practice/Small Gigs Under $250?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David L1K, Nov 7, 2019.

1. David L1K

David L1K

Aug 8, 2013
    Hey I'm desperately in need of an amp for apartment practice/jamming or maybe a small gig or two. I've done a lot of window shopping the last couple of months and have tried out several amps in music shops and pawn shops. I've read a lot of reviews online including old TalkBass threads, and have checked out countless Youtube demos and comparisons. This is the last step for me. Right now the new Fender Rumble 40 is looking pretty good, but I'd like to get some feedback from some other amateurs, hobbyists and bedroom jammers given all the new stuff that's out now. Thank you!

2. ACWild

ACWild

Nov 5, 2019
    The "under $250" limit is what's killing me... :)

3. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I’d get something a little bigger like the Rumble 100 or Hartke HD75. Especially if you’re gigging with a drummer.

Idk how much it costs there though.

Ggaa likes this.
  4. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...if you can find a decent used SWR Workingman's 12 or 15, it would be a good choice...

pappabass and Heavy Blue like this.
  5. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Your money will definitely go a lot farther if you can buy used. I've bought a half-dozen good small amps off of Craigslist and never paid more than $125; all but one of them were considerably stouter than a Rumble 40.

alaskaleftybass and dramatwist like this.
  6. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    Go with the rumble. I hated my HD75 and sold it. It weighted more than my 210 rig and never really sounded the best. The tweeter distorted really easily and couldn't be switched off.

7. What instruments and types of music would you like to play with?
    What types of venues and gigs would you like to play?

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  8. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    used

lomo and Stumbo like this.
  9. David L1K

David L1K

Aug 8, 2013
    Ok Im gonna level with you. I don't have a band right now and don't see any bass gigs in my near future so let's forget the gig part. It's for home jamming and I live in a condo so.. . I'm not even a bass player strictly speaking. I'm a bored guitar player looking to broaden my horizons. I've been a dedicated guitar player for over 20 years but I always enjoyed mucking around on my friends basses. I've owned several basses over the years but I would always lose interest and they were the first thing to go when I needed some bread. Well I got another bass last spring and this time it's different. I've gotten really obsessed with my bass playing the past several months and I hardly touch my guitars anymore. I think I'm in it for the long haul and I just need a nice little combo for home use. I'd like at least a 10" speaker and 40-50 watts is plenty. After 20 years of guitar playing I have found my tone and have built a beautiful rig, but I'm still a relative bass noob and I haven't even begun to find my tone. However I've been playing through a Crate BX15 that I got for $20 at a pawn shop so I know it won't take much to improve on that.

10. In that case... I like Fender Rumbles, and Ampeg BA amps would be a (typically) cheaper, heavier alternative with similar tone.

I think the 40 would be plenty for you. I find the Rumble 100 enough for some gigs; so I’d get the 40 for what you describe, and if/when it’s gig time, look for something in the 200w neighborhood

good luck!

EDIT there are members here who use a Rumble 40 for gigs. So if you end up with a quiet drummer, or just light percussion, a 40 or 100 could work for gigs. So much of the recommendation comes down to the situation it’s used in!

Mike Whitfield and Ronzo like this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For a new purchase, you can't beat the Rumble for value. But certainly check the classifieds here. Not worth shipping, but you might find a local. Always better to buy bigger than you think you need.

John Swartz likes this.
  12. David L1K

David L1K

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks. I was seriously looking at the new Ampeg BA 110 and I even found a used one at a pawn shop here for a really good price. I played it the other day and I thought it sounded pretty good and the price was fantastic. I almost pulled the trigger but decided to sleep on it. Then I saw this. . . and decided I should get a rumble.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  13. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I have a Rumble 40 that I bought used, in brand new condition, for $150. It serves as my practice amp, as well as my jazz gig amp. I play both upright and electric through it, usually w/o drummer, and it has never failed to produce a good sound at the volume I need it to (which is usually not a lot of course). It’s simple, light and loud enough.

Mike Whitfield and DuluthDank like this.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

What's your location? Check your local Craigslist.

SwitchGear likes this.
  15. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    gotta fender rumble 100v3 only used for home practice for 175 plus the ride
    0821191541. 0821191539.

GCPENG and alanloomis1980 like this.
  16. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    TC Electronic BG250 combo, in whatever speaker configuration. Lightweight, pretty loud, really good clean tone, and also utilizes their Toneprint feature where you can have a pile of effects on your cell phone to send to the amp. Find em used for stupid cheap. I paid $150 for mine from Guitar Center.

17. Forget a practice amp, they are more useful in theory than practice. for that price it would have to be a combo. I'd suggest you ONLY look at used, 200W + combos. Look at Peavey or other brands known for good SS tone and reliability. 115 probably more practical and available than 210 combos but don't write one off if you find one.

18. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    43AF8C97-6B18-4068-AAB0-D313DBC8CD8D. You are welcome!

Attached Files:

G-Dog likes this.
  19. Don't buy a Rumble 25 if you want anything more than just a practice amp. Rumble 25 is a great practice amp but nothing else.

Mike Whitfield and Huw Phillips like this.
  20. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    used gk mb115, tc bg250