Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass AMP for under $500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Jan 26, 2002.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I am just starting out on the Bass and picked up a new Yamaha RBX-270 after doing some research and "liking" the feel of the instrument. Looking to play metal, rock and perhaps some jazz.

My question right now is what is a good bass amp for under $500?

I am strictly a beginner but have some knowledge of the bass. Who knows, maybe I will actually get decent at it!

Before I get into any playing questions, I would like to get the equipment in place first.

I have looked at the following:

SWR LA series
    Fender Bassman series
    Crate (I really don't like their stuff)
    Hartke Kickback series
    Aquilar

I would love to hear all of your thoughts on these (and any others I might have missed) and perhaps you could guide me in the right direction.

My coworkers are all guitarists and not much help.

So, if you had a $500 Xmas gift and needed a bass, what would be your choice and why.

Thanks in advance!

2. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    check out the B-100 R by Ampeg. Its a beautiful amp, w/ great tone, and damn loud for a 100 watts. I think you should look into this one too. $479 at http://www.musiciansfriend.com

from your list, i'd go with the Fender Bassman, but thats just my opinion.

the decision is up to you which amp you choose. i suggest you go to a music store and play through everything you possibly can in your price range.

-nik

(forget everything i said except for B100R = good amp

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Also check out the Ashdown Electric Blue combos.

4. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    GuitarCenter in my area has:

Ampeg BA-210SP for $699
    SWR LA-15 for $299
    Crate BX50DLX for $349
    SWR LA-8 for $199

Wow, that Ampeg had nice sound and special effects built-in. But the price! And I am only just starting out on the bass. Perhaps I should go with the LA-8 and upgrade later on.

Any thoughts?

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Personally, I was very underwhelmed by the LA-8, it sounded really cheap to me. I would suggest getting something used, if you want more bang for your buck.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Peavey Microbass is better then the LA 8 and cost the same.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The Peavey Microbass is good, but I think the Peavey Minx 110 is a much better practice amp. You can get it used for about $100.

8. if you buy something "to upgrade later", just remember you can usually only sell for half of what you pay for it.. so if you buy an amp new for 250, expect to only get 125 for it used, and if you've only got it for a little while before you sell it, you'll have wasted 125 bucks.
    go for the most you can afford, if it costs you a little bit more, it's tough, but it'll save you money in the long run by not having to upgrade immediately.

9. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    Thanks to those who replied and those who post in Talkbass.com as well.

I purchased the SWR LA-15 from MarsMusic for only $299. No hissing either and great sound.

10. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    Thanks to those who replied and those who post in Talkbass.com as well.

I purchased the SWR LA-15 from MarsMusic for only $299. No hissing either and great sound.