Best bass amp modeler?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 27, 2005.

1. In your opinion, what is the best bass amp modeler under $300 (or right around $300)? Why is it the best?
  2. Should I post this in "effects"?
  3. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    go to $400, and there is the Line 6 Bass POD XT Live...which is the best, period.
    It does require a bit of tweaking though...
  4. I had thought about the Bass POD XT (at $300), but it might just be worth moving up to the XT Live.

What makes the Bass POD XT Live better than the Bass POD XT?
  5. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    You don't need a separate floorboard with the XT Live. AFAIK, that's the main advantage.

Having foot control is important. Much of the utility of these gadgets comes from being able to switch effects and models at will.

I have a PodXT and Floorboard (the big one), and I like it a lot. I use it as an effects unit, though one of my "effects" is actually just an overdriven Fender amp model with a cabinet simulator, because I prefer the sound of an overdriven amp to that of a fuzzbox. Most of the time I'm running straight through the PodXT with no model engaged.

There are two advantages of going with the PodXT with separate floorboard. First is that you can mount the pod on a mic stand (they sell a plate to do this) and put it right next to you, so you can control it easily. Second is that you don't need to run power, your instrument input and the amp output to the floorboard...there's just one wire on the floor to trip over.

The disadvantage is that you have to buy more gear, so it's more expensive. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same.

The separate floorboard also has a nice, big (and lit) tuner display that's really easy to see and use. The XTLive looks like it has the same small display found on the face of the PodXT...which works just great, but it's a lot smaller.