1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass Amp (stack or combo) for under $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maiden Bass, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm thinking maybe the new Carvin BX500 with their BRX10.2Neo.

You can order them both for only $803 (plus shipping).

Anything better than this out there???

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Better is subjective, but I'll tell you this. $1000 will buy a much better (to me) rig, used.

3. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    Yes, if you find the right deal you could get something really great (used) for $1000, but I am looking to purchase a new amp (and to get a warranty with it).

4. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    "Best" threads are inherintly silly, as it's an utterly subjective assesment. There are any number of factors to consider: wattage, tube vs ss vs hybrid, EQ, size, weight, reliability, etc etc etc. The end result is either no one replying, or people recommending what they happen to use. Pointless.

It's like saying "What's the best car under $25,000?" Well, do you want something sporty and fun, great mileage, ability to haul a boat etc etc...

5. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm looking for the best DEAL!

Meaning bang for the buck; not asking for the best tone.

With the Carvin you are getting 500 watts plus 2x10.

Hope that clarifies for those who did not understand my original question.
    ;)

6. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    well if used id track down a LMII and a ampeg 410hlf 500 watts and 4X10

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    If "I" had 1k to spend - I would go for a used Mesa Walkabout combo. Very subjective question though.

8. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    used ampeg 8x10 and a use GK 800RB. thats alot of bang for under a grand

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    New GK 210 combo...that's under a grand isn't it?

MB2 drives it...

vertically aligned neo drivers...

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Just get a Gallien Krueger 700RBII head and a good 212 or 410 cabinet

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    The GK MB212 is coming soon @ $700 ~ that would do the trick.

12. I think the Carvin is a great choice! I went with the BR510N combo, which is the BX500 head in a 2x10 cabinet. The nice thing about the comb is that the head is held in with the rack mount and can easily be removed. So you get the head, a 2x10 neo cabinet and a rack mount for $639. Separately they would cost $813. If you add another extension cabinet such as the 1x15 you will have a very versatile rig!

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

used.

14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    When these threads come up (everyday lately, it seems) I always suggest a used Peavey Firebass 700 and an Avatar 4 ohm 2x12 - I still do, but If you insist on a new head, google on Hartke LH500. Several different online stores have them for right around 349 bucks. 500 watts @ 4 ohms for 349 bucks. I have no first hand experience with them, but they've been out for awhile now, and there haven't been any catastrophic threads about them yet - (GK MB2-500, cough cough).

Did I mention they cost 349 bucks?

15. Check out (request a quote) from www.rmcaudio.com G-K 700RB II and a NEO 212 or RBX 410/NEO 410. Should make your 1G, no shipping or tax charges from them. It will run circles around the Carvin, no offense to Carvin it is good stuff, butt........

16. Yes you are right! I haven't seen anyone on fire to go out and buy the Hartke either?! :bag:

17. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Ha! True. Maiden bass Inquired about BEST DEAL (in capital letters), not the most popular.

18. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

used ampeg 8x10 @$500
    used ampeg svt-3pro @$550

check cl for these prices. the bay area cl has these type prices.

19. +1 for purchasing new....and I would go with the NEO212.

20. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    So many replies because face it, most bass amps are really good nowadays. I will give a shout out for the Carvin BR515N combo though. Made in the USA and sounds really really good (when using eq). Plus, it is very loud and light. Kick it back and you can hear your full spectrum of tone without blowing away your bandmates and the first few rows of audience.

[​IMG]