1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best bass amp to accompany an acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drausin, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Drausin

Drausin

Oct 28, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I was in the market for an acoustic bass so I can play along with my buddy who plays acoustic guitar, but I kept seeing the same message over and over: ABGs are too quiet, and you'd be better off just using your solid body bass with a small amp.

So I'm looking for a bass amp that will allow me to jam/sing with him. Something small and battery-powered that sounds nice. I want to use it if we jam on the street or some place outside.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ANY bass amp will work. Go play some and find what you like. Seriously.

3. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
  4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Can't go wrong with a mesa walkabout or a B15.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    a small one, or a large one with a volume control......

6. ACRX

ACRX

May 28, 2009
  7. Obviously only an SVT VR with a flatback 810 cabinet will work for this situation! :D :bag:

8. Wrong.

Fixed. :D

9. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    that ibanez prometheus looks great... and I'm really drawn to the new TCElectronic BG250 with the 2x8 speakers. Small and light and with an extra speaker output in case you needed more volume for a small to medium sized club. I find 250 watts to be fine for bars up to a couple hundred people... all depends on how much you want to lug around and how loud you expect to ever go. If you really only want to match an acoustic guitar, there are probably 1x8 combos that would be just fine.

10. I've used the Roland Micro Cube in an acoustic context, and it works very well! Great tone for it's size, and the battery means setup anywhere.

11. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    I'm happy with my SWR Workingman's 12 in that exact situation.

12. For the well heeled: AER Amp One or Two should be ideal! :D

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    All I could think of with a battery was the Roland. They are nice.

14. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass Drausin.

You have to forgive the average TBer's, their reading comprehension isn't very good :).

The requirement for operating with battery power will either sound rather wimpy, or cost a fortune.
    IME anyway.

There's tons of threads on TB about using inverters and car batteries with regular amps, but I have a hunch that You want something a little bit more portable?

In my very limited experience on battery powered amps, the Roland may be Your only real choice. Reasonably priced, good reviews and the availability is good.

While I totally agree that an ABG can't compete with an acoustic guitar, they're fun to noodle with and if the guitarist has a bit lighter touch, there may even be a slight possibility of some balance.
    IME You can forget any gigging you wanted to do as well as jamming, without amplification of some sort though.
    Do keep in mind that some city regulations prohibit the use of any amplification, some allow internal battery operated amps.
    A DB is always an option... ;).

So, if You give us Your price range/limit and the weight limit, people will be better able to give suggestions about what to try out or buy.

I'd guess that the Roland is Your best bet though.

Regards
    Sam

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I like the Roland Street Cube - 2x 6.5" neo-speakers and battery powered. I think it sounds better than the Microcube. I don't own one but have played through one more than once and liked it. It has nearly endless limitations but will serve the purpose nicely.

16. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Yeah. Guess reading the whole situation isn't my strong suit.

We practice all acoustic sometimes and I'm louder than my guitar players ovation. I have a takamine G series and Michael Kelly Fretless. Even with 2 guitar players and the singer on uke it works ok for us. If it was a tiny coffee shop we would be fine just acoustic. I believe an acoustic bass can't keep up with some big dreadnaughts but give it a shot if you have an acoustic to try. I like the vibe of playing an actual acoustic in small places. It just feels and looks right to me.

17. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have a fret less Abg and I sometimes play with an acoustic group. Two acoustic guitar and a drummer playing snare with brushes. I looked at the Roland micro cube for bass - it was pretty cool - but pretty damn expensive because of all the bells and whistles. I found a great deal on a used micro cube for guitar and I just set it to the acoustic setting and eq on my bass. I don't push it too hard- and I get lots of compliments on my tone with it. I paid less than $200 less than I would have for a new micro cube for bass