Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass amp you have played

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warwick0239, Dec 5, 2002.

1. What was the best kind of bass amp you have ever played

2. the ones i cant afford, naturally! :D

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Vintage SVT, hands down.

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Vintage svt, all the way.
    [​IMG]

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Aguilar DB680 preamp through an Aguilar DB728 all tube power amp.

Never had the pleasure of playing Glock, EA or EBS. Heard great things about them though.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

same here. i also really like an ebs350

but i am happy with mine!

7. well i'd have to go with my latest rig....sunn 1200 with david eden d-410t(4x10) and trace elliot 1153 (1x15)

8. best sounding was a peavey b-15... it just wasn't very loud.

and you don't have to attach that pic of your warwick in every post, you know.

EDIT: uh, AMPEG b-15. me so crazy.

9. ssssssssorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy

10. The one I'm playing now. Alembic F1-X, Line6 Pod Pro, Carvin DPC-1000, SWR Triad.

Until next month when I switch to an all tube head and then IT will be the best.

We convince ourselves that what we found was what we meant to find.

Well it's next month now and I've got the tube amp now (Eden VT-300A) and guess what? It is the best amp I've ever played now. And hopefully will be for some time to come.....:D

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Matter of fact, you don't have to attach anything. It is optional, not mandatory.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Mine. :D Maybe someday I'll get something ultra-modern.
    [​IMG]

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've seen this pic before but never commented on it... I think that is some of the coolest grill cloth I've ever seen!

-robert

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Mine

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thank you. :D It's probably as old as the amp itself. Sometimes it gets on my nerves, but I can't bring myself to take it off. It's been on the amp longer than I have been alive, and that intimidates me.

16. don't take it off! it's rad^max.

17. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Man, never take that grill cloth off! That's Godlike. I have tried bazillions of bass amps over the last 20 years of playing, and had a full on triamped mondo bizarro late 80's rig with all sorts of effects and things that blinked. I still think the best sounding bass amp for recording is an Ampeg B-15, but my new Trace Elliot V6 is really making me feel good about my bass playing in a way that I haven't felt for a long time. I assume taht everyoen goes through the same playing ruts that I have experienced. This amp is reminding me of what a soulful organic thing bass playing can be. It's responding in such a natural way- not to don sandles and get all hippy on you all, but I'm really enjoying playing right now and I wasn't a few weeks ago.

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Very classical for me too : vintage SVT...

19. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    All these fancy smacy new "all tube" heads are just trying to sound like the industry standard. SVT folks, SVT. (although, to tell the truth, I can't haul mine anymore, playing a Demeter, Acme, QSC rig these days). Retired my SVT. If only I had roadies....

20. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Eden WT400 with an Eden D-410XST. Which I happen to own. The 210 + 115 was a close second.