Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass and Amp for $1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mxr255, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Hey guys a friend of mine is joining a band and needs to get a 5 string bass and an amp. I didn't know what to suggest so I thought I would ask the knowledgable gang of talkbassers. Thanks for your help guys.

Matt

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Cool. Depending on what kind of power your friend is going to need, I'd recommend maybe an Ampeg BA-115, or an Ashdown combo of some kind. There's also the Avatar/Ashdown dealio going on at Avatar. Depending on how much money your friend spends on an amp, I'd recommend a Lakland Skyline or a Yamaha. Both are great basses. I'd personally recommend a Yamaha BBG5-S. That's what I play right now. I picked it up for $250, and it is an amazing bass. I have heard nothing but good of the Lakland Skylines though, so I'd recommend those as well. Also, buy used! You save so much money.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown/avatar sounds very nice together. That with a nice (used?) 5 string bass like a G & L Tribute would rock.

4. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd go with an Ashdown and a Warwick Rockbass.

5. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    those are some good ideas...thanks guys

matt

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just watch out for the thick necks on the Warwicks. Play before you decide. Otherwise, some other options would be G&L Tribute, Lakland Skyline 55-01, Korean Spector, Fender Geddy Lee J, etc...

On the amps, at the low end, I LOVE the current GK line, and you should be able to get into a GK combo, or if you can stretch just a little further, an Avatar cab and a GK 1001RB-II (700W) head. Figure 600-700 (or less) for the bass, and you're there.

Good luck!

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I would also highly recommend checking out the MTD Kingston/Heir lines. You could even get a used Grendel or Beast and still have a nice chunk of change left for an amp.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    OOoooooo, VERY good point. Forgot about those, and they are very nice.

9. Warwick Rockbass "Fortress" model
    (or ashdown head + avatar or dr. bass 210, 112 or 212.)

Essex/Brice 5 string Jazz bass

and Eden CXC 210 or Nemises 210 combo.

the former is more modern sounding and the latter is more phat, warm and old skool.

10. What? No one is recommending a Squier P-Bass and a Crate amplifier? :smug:

11. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Yep, I own one of those. It's not quite my Vampyre LTD but it's definitely one of the best basses in that price range.

12. I got an Essex 5 Jazz a few weeks ago and it sounds great.I've had some really nice 5 strings,Pedulla,Kubiki,Yamahas and Peavey Milleniums and this bass sounds very good compared to them.I second the Essex choice,that would leave plenty of money for a good rig.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    How about a Tribute by G&L bass and an Ampeg B100R? That'll get you off to a good start.

14. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    A used G&L/Tribute, Lakland skyline, Yamaha, Jazz V etc...

used Gallien Krueger 800rb/700rbII

you're spankin'.

15. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Bass: G&L Tribute
    Amp: Roland DB500/DB700