Best bass and rig for 2K

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJS, May 22, 2002.

1. RJS

May 12, 2002
    Just wondering about your opinions. If you had around $2,000 for a whole set-up (if it's a little over it's okay), what would you choose. It has to include the bass and the combo (or head and cab). And we're talking NEW here. Yeah a used USA Lakland for $600 :eek: is great, but we're talking prices most people can find at dealers or on the internet to order from.
    I was thinking a Carvin LB75P and decent amp & cab or combo. What about the Lakland 55-01 and really good head/cab or combo. Or 55-02 and lesser combo. Is the 55-02 worth the extra money, or should I go 55-01 and apply the difference to a better amp/combo? So many options! What do you suggest for the a/cab or combo in my price range? I know it's personal opinion, but that's what I'm looking for.
    I just want make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You get a lot more bang for your buck used.

New, you could get a Lakland 55-01, 55-02 or a Peavey Cirrus 5, and get a Peavey BAM combo for not much more than that. Or, for quite a bit more, get an Eden Metro or a WT 300 and a D410XLT.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Where are you located? If you're in the US and have patience , you could take that $2k and take advantage of some deals that are popping up that border on the absurd. You could easily get $4K or more worth of gear for that $2K. For example, I got a bass that sold for more than $2k new, a 400+ watt amp and two EA cabs... for less than $2k. I didn't get them all at once, I waited until they appeared.

Of course if you want new, knock yourself out. I like the 55-01, it'll set you back around $700 plus gigbag. You could do a Carvin too or get a Peavey Cirrus or MTD Kingston or Heir. Lots of nice combos around $500 to $1000.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If all my gear were stolen (shudder!) and I had only $2000 to replace it, and with the requirement I buy new, I'd go with another rosewood-board MusicMan Sterling and a high-quality combo - maybe an Eden Time Traveler or one of the G-K 400 or 700 based rigs.

But that's me!
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    there are a lot of options. for a USA resident and for that price that price id' go with a bass that i like the feel and with a big amp. amp are common in used section so you can go there and take a look. for bass it really depends on what your style is. i don't believe that there is only one bass that is the best for everything. there are a lot of bang for the bucks out there, MIM Fender Deluxe seems to me the best for you price range. Skylines are too expensive and maybe you could need more money for tha amp.

i'd choose from website:

Ampeg SVT-350H Classic Head
    Authentic vintage Ampeg tube sound with the Classic series look. Sports a 350-watt MOSFET output to provide the most tube-like ... Buy Now $649.99

Ampeg SVT410HE Bass Enclosure
    Features 4 x 10" speakers with 2" coils and 30 oz. magnets. To enhance these is an added 1" horn. $579.99

you still have 770$ for the bass. let's see:

Ibanez BTB405QM 5-String Bass
    BTB basses are designed with the more traditional pro bassist in mind. The pickups are passive; the body is fuller, and the neck ...

Lakland Skyline 55-01 5-String Bass
    It retains all the key features that have made Lakland's the choice of professionals: ash body, flat-sawn maple neck, a choice of ... Buy Now $699.99

Conklin GT-5 5-String Bass
    Swamp ash body with figured maple top. Five-piece wenge/purpleheart neck with purpleheart fretboard. Conklin active pickups with ...

Fender® American Standard Jazz Bass® V
    Click above for more information. Buy Now $699.99

Fender® Deluxe Active Jazz Bass® V
    Time-tested Standard Jazz Bass® features combined with Fender® U.S. Deluxe pickups and electronics give this baby some extra ... $559.99

Reverend Blem Rumblefish 5L 5-String Bass
    2 Reverend J-style pickups with 3-position voicing switch (parallel, single coil, or series), and a single volume and single tone ...

not that bad!!

have fun!
  6. RJS

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for all the tips. I hadn't really thought about the Conklin. I gut a chance to play a used one once a couple months back, and thought it was really nice, but I didn't get to spen a lot of time with it. How are the Conklin GT's overall, nobody around here carries them normally? (GT=Groove Tube?) How does the GT-4 compare to the GT-5? Is it just the 5 string, or are there other quality differences as well? Thanks for the info.

7. RJS

May 12, 2002
    I'm also kinda suprised nobody mentioned for the amp/cab, an SWR Bass 350/Goliath set-up. Nobody a big fan of those?

8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Ditto on the used gear and patience. $2000 is quite enough to get some great stuff. I recommend a used Cirrus, Stingray, Fender American or Carvin (under $1000 typically) and the rest for a good 4x10 cabinet and 400+ watt amp. You should have enough left over for a cord.
  9. RJS

May 12, 2002
    The Groove Tools 4 (thanks stingrayguy) seems like a hell of a deal at under $500. Are they very inferior to the Lakland 55-01 or Carvin?

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    No question in my opinion if your in this situation.

Go with a super rig, actually the best setup in my opinion and then buy a fender jazz or whatever you really like and later if you deside to upgrade then atleast your cabinet and power amp are in place and solid!!!!!!!

Epifani cab !! this depends on what your looking for, 10's or 12's. Theres the 210, 310, 410 and 610.

Power amp with no question the Creat LT series.

Preamp's are a dime a dozen ranging from 200-400 for ampeg, swr, eden, alembic, demeter. Sorry the New epifani preamp isn't out yet and a used one you won't find becuase its so incredable no one will be selling them once they get one!!

But you could get an Epifani 310 & Crest LT1000 for a total of $1410 then find you a used preamp and still have $400-500 to spend on a bass. Which used won't be hard.

The key is that you have the very best in cab's and one of the best amp's out that has incredable freq responce and dinamic range.

I wish you the best of luck!!
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not inferior IMO... just different.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the groove tools SMOKE the skylines...but that's just my preference.

i would definitely spring for a good amp and get a cheaper bass. look for something over 300 watts, from a higher end manufacturer. SWR, Eden, G/K, Ampeg, etc...there's lots of stuff out there so try a bunch.

for the bass - my current low price favorite is the Cort Artisan B-series. Bartolini electronics & pickups, wenge neck, swamp ash body for a ridiculous price. either that or a MIM fender.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Refusing to consider used equipment, especially a bass, is a poor choice, IMO. I saved $1,000 on my Q5 by buying used and the bass was in better shape than most I see at Mars being sold as new.

What could possibly be wrong with a used bass that you wouldn't be able to figure out in the trial process?

While, I have had good results with used amps and cabs, your apprehension at least makes more sense.

To answer your question takes more info than you are offering.

The amp need all depends on use.

My suggestion would be to find a bass that you really can attach to and is priced at what you feel is a value. Whether it is $100 or a $1000. You should have some feel for whether or not it is worth it. Just buy YOUR bass.

Take the rest and get whatever amp you can afford.

I could come up with 100 different combinations at that prize, ranging from a top-end full stack and a MIM P bass to a Used Ken Smith and a 15 watt practice amp.

There is no reasonable answer to this question.

14. RJS

May 12, 2002

I see what you're saying and it makes sense, but It's really not that I'm refusing to consider used, but I'm way out in the middle of nowhere. My closest local store is around 3 hours away, and carries only Peavey and Sammick, and has a very, very limited used collection. I'm pretty much stuck buying over the internet, and I'm kind of wary about ordering from an individual - I've been burned ordering other stuff from ebay, yahoo, and places like that. I figured if I have to order over the internet, it might as well be a place where I have 30 days to try the stuff out and can return it if I want to. I really do appreciate all the ideas, please keep them coming.

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Places like:

have an excellent reputation as internet retailers and offer used instruments. I encourage you to ask them about their return policies. With each's committment to customer service, I would be surprised if they did not accomodate you.

16. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    man, you're on the right track.

i'll not waste time by trying to talk you into buying used. buying used takes time, patience, and you usually compromise in color, condition, or take a risk. it's a trade-off, and I respect not wanting the hassle. realize that many of the folks here hunt basses down as a way of life..a sport if you will.

the 55-01 is a GREAT choice. i don't like the pup's in the 55-02 any better (in fact worse).

carvin , GL2500, Stingray 5, Fender Jazz V, Fender RB all come to mind.

the SWR350/Jr. is a good idea, but stretches the budget a bit.

how about one of those nifty porta-combos from GK? around 1k, powerful, and has the transport system?

I'd say: Skyline 55-01 + GK1001 Combo would be a nice way to go :)
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They're very nice, I just think that Eden sounds better.
  18. RJS

May 12, 2002
    Never had a chance to hear the Eden stuff. But I don't think I've heard anything bad about them.
    What's everybody's opinion on the Lakland 55-01 vs the Conklin GT-4/5? The Conklin is a great deal at about $200 less than the Lakland...but how does it compare? I want something very "playable" :)

Thanks for the info.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The Lakland play like a US Lakland. I'd get the Lakland. You might like the Conklin.

Ahh, the circle of life;)