Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass and Setup for Upright Sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dig Wilbur Ware, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003
    For you electric jazz bassists, what bass and setup gives you the most 'natural acoustic/upright' sound?

2. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    My HEAVY mahogany G&L L1000, tapewound strings, rest your thumb right on the edge of the neck, and pluck away!

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Should've included the word "fretless" on that last post!!

4. Rob Allen.

Geoff

5. Most any bass can attempt to duplicate that sound. Palm-muting, a block of foam, picking over the end of the fingerboard, eqing, all work to a degree. But what I cant figure out, if ya want to sound like a double bass, why dontcha just get a double bass? Worked for me!

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I played Ain't No Mountain for this thing at my church, I used Jamerson's method of using a piece of foam at my bridge, I didn't have foam so I just used my polishing rag folded up :p hehe worked the same though.. although I play a Fender American P, I suppose it would work all the same on any other bass..

7. petermo

petermo

Mar 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Rob Allen without question - I've been using it the past 3 years in a jazz trio setting. Just love it!