1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass Book

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by feezus, Nov 29, 2006.

1. feezus

feezus

Nov 29, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm a relatively experienced musician, but I've just started learning the bass. Any recommendations? I don't plan on taking bass lessons, just learning from a book.

Best,
    Danny

2. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    You don't need a book. If you're a musician, you know what you need to do.

Learn positions of each note all along the neck of the bass, practice all kinds of scales and build strength in both hands while doing it. Also, watch some other bassists for learning correct posture and get rid of bad habits before they become habits. :p

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. feezus

feezus

Nov 29, 2006
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Hmm, a lot of choices--maybe I should clarify a bit. By "musician," I mean I'm classically trained and have been playing an instrument for a decent amount of time, not that I make money playing music.

Specifically, I'm looking for a book that will teach me some of the actual mechanics of playing bass so I don't develop bad habits early, some good exercises to practice, and theory for improvisation. I don't know a lot of theory, but I'd like to learn more. So I guess I'm looking for a fairly introductory book--I actually plan on playing bass in a live band soon, and want to learn the basics quickly.

Thanks!

5. If it's the mechanics of actually playing the bass, such as finger and thumb placement, scale pattern fingerings etc etc, then IMO you would certainly be best served by taking a few lessons with a teacher or getting an instructional video.

Books won't prevent you developing bad habits. Also check the General Instruction forum here for more information.

6. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    I like Todd Johnson's Technique DVD. It has some great exercises that have really built up my left fingers, and some good info on proper mechanics.

7. Glider

Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    When ya find it let me know! :)

I have a Hal Lennord book right now, I think its titled Bass Guitar for Beginners or Beginner Bass Guiter, its been helpful but not a total mechanics book, I had a webpage that I used a lot but it has reciently been yanked, it has a ton of scale information.

I also have the Bass Guitar for Dummies book, its a great read and also comes with a CD but have not started using the CD yet.