1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best bass boost effect/circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tocs100, Jan 18, 2012.

1. tocs100

tocs100 Utah Bass of Doom, Metal DJ @ leafpileradio.com

Sep 16, 2007
    Ogden, UT
    Here's my experience, please share yours!

Peavey Millennium onboard 18v eq: 5/10 meh, drains battery fast

DOD Bi-Fet Preamp: 5/10 meh

Aphex Big Bottom: 6/10: kinda soft, doesn't help peaks

BBE Maximizer also Tech21 Sansamp Character series: 5/10, okay live, too low for recording. (Other than the low end girth, the Tech 21 gets a 9/10 for tone.)

Graphic/Parametric Eq: 6/10, never sounds quite right

Digitech Dual-Band Bass Squeeze: 7/10: stay below 5 and works quite well; good for guitar too

Behringer blendable Bass Overdrive (Boss ODB-3 clone): 8/10, quite good, better "shelving" curve than any circuit above, even better than a mixer-channel bass knob (see Behringer mixer).

Behringer Xenyx mixer: 8/10, okay used just once, but go thru the fx loop with some limiting and add a 2nd channel's bass boost!

Electro-Harmonix Knockout Eq: ?, I've used crossovers for years, to the point of wearing them out. Feedback on how well this records?

2. tocs100

tocs100 Utah Bass of Doom, Metal DJ @ leafpileradio.com

Sep 16, 2007
    Ogden, UT
    Bump for feedback.

3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Fulltone Fat Boost V3 works really well for me.

4. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    "BBE Maximizer also Tech21 Sansamp Character series: 5/10, okay live, too low for recording. (Other than the low end girth, the Tech 21 gets a 9/10 for tone.)"
    Why group these together? The maximizer is a different beast than the character series and the character series are different from each other. Have you tried the VT itself, the one specifically designed for bass? It has TONS of low end girth. And "too low for recording'? What is too low? Certainly not the volume...it can be used as a presmp into a power amp; I keep the volume about 10 o'colck, noon would blow up my input.

also consider the Tronographic Rusty Box. actually better than the VT. I a/b'd them Wednesday night on my loud band rig, the mids are beautiful, plenty of lows and highs. The drive can be a lovely rumble. It might be the headroom of higher power it uses while the VT is still 9v.
    I also have used the MarkBass Super booster. Excellent clean boost with the same filters as a Markbass amp, one raises volume of sublows and highs 10K making a nice scoop and the other rolls of the highs for vintage speaker emulation. I often use just the boost or the filters for certain sounds.
    Then there's the Flipster. And the Behringer copy of the sans amp which people like and is very cheap. (not enough midrange for me though)

5. Do you mean bass BOOST (as in a clean gain or distortion drive circuit) or a BASS boost (as in Low frequency EQ gain)?

bass BOOST: Barber Electronics Launch Pad

BASS boost: Sadowsky Preamp/DI pedal