Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass Brand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StillWaterBassist, Apr 11, 2000.

1. StillWaterBassist

StillWaterBassist

Apr 5, 2000
    What are your all time favourite bass brand and why?

------------------
    N/A

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd have to say Warwick. I've never heard a bad one. Even the cheapo ones they came out with recently sound good. They are the best basses that you can buy without a custom order.
    Modulus Basses are also incredibly nice. They are longer scale, so a 5 or 6 string has incredible clarity. They are harder to find and most of the time are more expensive than Warwicks.

------------------
    "In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get... the women" - Homer

3. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    Opinions, opinions!

I thought the new 'cheapo' warwicks at guitar center sounded dull... but that's just me. [​IMG]

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass.

------------------
    Paul

5. Fender. They speak to me. I have never got the vibe I get from Fenders from any other brand. I have better basses (a Rob Allen MB2) but Fender are something very special. All my favourite bassists play Fender with the single exception of Jack Bruce.

Hmmmm.

andy

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Player, that's bass brand not brass band LOL!
    [​IMG]

P.S. Fender cause that's what I play and the LEO is strong within me.

Mike

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    MJB - then you should try G&L, since it's better Leo than what he did at Fender!

Andy - and Jack now plays Warwick!

Warwick is the first bass in over 15 years to make me go "I need one of these!". I agree, though, that the lower end models aren't the same. Go for the Thumb bass, or higher. The contoured body models are just right. After that, I'd look at G&L. I'm partial to the originals more than the new ones.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It all comes down to personal preference and what's right for you - I "lusted" after Warwicks when I first saw pictures and got a catlogue. I really bought their sales pitch about wood and everything and loved the way they look and sound.

BUT when I got to try a few, I found that to me, they were all almost unplayable. The necks are too thick front to back and really make my hand ache after only a few minutes playing.

I noticed recently that they must be aware of this problem as they had a big publicity thing about new versions of some basses with wider, flatter, necks. Unfortunately, none of the retailers I have contacted will stock these - they say I can order one, but they don't intend to ever stock them - so I can't try one and I don't intend to buy without trying first - I might just get the same problem.

I had the same opinion of Fenders for years - never found a decent one. But then tried the Roscoe Beck bass, which really felt good under my hands. So what I am trying to say is that you have to treat each bass on its merits for **you** - don't worry about what brand it is, or you might just be ignoring the perfect bass for you.

9. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    I have been through 6 different basses. My fave, hands down, is my Warwick.
    For playability, growl and price, I don't think you can match its traits. And looks?You pull out a Warwick, and people know you've come to bust **** up!

one caviat:
    Wax the wood, often! All oil finished Warwicks come with a tin of wax! Once every 2 weeks, and your bass will love you for it!

10. nadjanda

nadjanda

Apr 12, 2000
    Fodera and Roscoe, just listen to Anthony Jackson's and Jimmy Haslip's basses live.

11. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Have to say another Fender fan here...

Although I do keep playing this Ibanez Ergodyne at GC...someday I'll probably add it to the collection.

BTW, anyone know how to pronounce Ibanez? [​IMG]

-GM

12. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Gimme my Musicman Stingray or gimme death!! [​IMG] I can't get enough of it. After musicman.. well maybe Neuser or Fender.

13. I recently spent weeks of searching the net and every music store in a 100mile radious of me to find the perfect bass for me (well in my price range I should say). I have mia fender jazz 98 which is real nice but I always felt there was something missing. I now know what it was . Lack of punch. while I was able to get what I thought was some great tones out of it I never realized how it got lost in the mix until I went wireless and had chance to hear my band from an offstage perspective. Anyway the answer for me was my new MusicMan Stingray. I'd have never thought I'd stray from fender but I can honestly say I checked out all thier new stuff including the active p & j models and it was no contest the stingray wins handsdown in every catagorey /playability, quality workmanship,tonal range and best of all thunderous punch. plus I never tire of looking at this black on black beauty. I've been totally converted and can only say that if youv'e never played a stingray in a live situation you don't know what your missing.

14. MarkM

MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    I have to go with the Fender crowd. Although I like my Peavey. And after getting my hands on a really nice Cirrus the other day...I must say I like them also.

I was not overly impressed with the 'playabilty' of the Ib-in-Ez! Maybe because it was used and I was just more comfortable with my current bass.

The Fender is always a good bass. I have no trouble picking one up and finding myself right at home.

I haven't had the luxury of playing any of the 'custom' or upper-class basses. Mainly because I live in the boonies and they won't sell them here. Probably some kind of law against selling them to C&W bands...could you see a redneck in a bent up cowboy hat hammering on a $3K bass playing a song about losing your trailer in a divorce? [​IMG]

Bottom line is get something that feels good and you can afford. The first feel you get will stay with you and you will base all of your basses on this one.

15. bossomania

bossomania

Apr 12, 2000
    I used to go with warwick and fender too, for 12 years, but then i found the love of my life, and thats why my choise is NEUSER!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous

Feb 4, 2000
    At the risk of being dumped on, I love Gibsons. They have a fast slender neck, and a powerful sound. The EB3 (remember Jack Bruce) was a favorite. I have a new Thunderbird on order.

17. I recently spent weeks of searching the net and every music store in a 100mile radious of me to find the perfect bass for me (well in my price range I should say). I have mia fender jazz 98 which is real nice but I always felt there was something missing. I now know what it was . Lack of punch. while I was able to get what I thought was some great tones out of it I never realized how it got lost in the mix until I went wireless and had chance to hear my band from an offstage perspective. Anyway the answer for me was my new MusicMan Stingray. I'd have never thought I'd stray from fender but I can honestly say I checked out all thier new stuff including the active p & j models and it was no contest the stingray wins handsdown in every catagorey /playability, quality workmanship,tonal range and best of all thunderous punch. plus I never tire of looking at this black on black beauty. I've been totally converted and can only say that if youv'e never played a stingray in a live situation you don't know what your missing.

18. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Anonymous, I'll defend Gibsons. I've owned 2 Thunderbirds (one 1966 forward body, one 1976 reissue). My long standing favorite bass is my Epiphone Embassy (read - Thunderbird, only better balanced). The T-bird (and Embassy) has the sound I've always wanted; it has a little more depth than the Fender sound. I got turned on to these by listening to Martin Turner in Wishbone Ash. The tone he got out of his T-bird just impressed the hell out of me.

19. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I really like my Zon fretless, but the one Fodera i had the opportunity to tryout was it! the feel and tone jumped right out of the bass with very little effort, but $$$$$$! Also of note, I also tried out a Status Graphite 35" headless 5. Great. the attention to detail is very high and it had a wonderful resonant feeling against my chest that I havent experienced before. Top notch all around, and Rob Green at Status seems like a really nice guy to work with.

20. Over the years I’ve owned 60’s Jazz’s and Precision’s, a couple of Gibson’s,
    5 Warwick’s, a Status, a Tune Bass Maniac, 4 or 5 80’s - 90’s Fender’s and 4
    Stingrays, plus a few more not worth mentioning. In all honesty I must agree with Rick Rice. After playing my Stingray’s I just don’t want use anything else for live work. They seem to cut through the mix and not only can I hear every note I’m playing, I can feel them too. Not something that I get with Fenders at the same volume. Second best for me is Warwick, then the Status, which is an old series 2 (No. 130.) These also cut through very well.
    I’ve had more Fenders’ than any other make and most of them have been good, but not the best. Until about 10 years ago nobody could persuade me that Fender was not the best but you live and learn.
    I’m sure that there are other makes out there that I haven’t tried that are also great and this is why this site is so good. I would love to try a G & L 2000 and a Carvin but I haven’t seen any here in the UK yet.

------------------