1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best bass cable

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 1dreday, Nov 2, 2013.

1. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    looking for a really good cable prob 20ft.
    thanks

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    No cable lasts forever. Paying for super-premium cables is a waste of money.
    Music stores usually have their own brand of cable with a lifetime warranty. I get these. When they fail I just walk into the store with the dead cable and walk out with a new one.

Cables don't affect your tone except maybe if you have an all-passive bass, then a long cable might lose a little bit of treble for you.

Opinions vary but I'm right.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Rockin Mike is pretty much right. Just don't buy a piece of crap $9 cable and you'll be fine.

That said, all my cables are Mogami Gold and I've never had one fail.

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Planet Waves is a very good one, and Mogami is a higher cost option.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Search.

Search.

Search.

This has been discussed at great length. The answer is that there are lots of good cables, and paying silly money doesn't get you a better one.

6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    This is actually a very personal decision - to rephrase, what is the best cable for you? Veteran's day is upcoming, and based on the past, Lava cable, (www.lavacable.com) will probably have some type of sale...where you really can't go wrong. They don't sell junk.

7. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Honestly? My best cables are the cables I've made myself.

It takes about ten minutes. You can buy Neutrik connectors and as much length of cable as you need and choose what kind of cable you want.

Whenever I buy a cable (as opposed to making it) I always make sure that it hasn't got moulded connectors, just so I can get in there with my soldering iron and fix it. Other than that, there's very little difference between cables - just get one with good connectors.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a bunch of Planet Wave cables and also have a very nice Fulltone cable that I bought once on sale. In an A/B comparison, I can hear a difference. The Fulltone has a bit brighter tone and a bit more clarity, which probably means there is less loss of highs then in the Planet Waves cable of the same length. Both are 15 footers. My Planet Waves cables are good for the lifetime warranty and I have replaced a few over the years by simply bringing them back to the store and being handed a new one. That kind of warranty is pretty hard to resist!

I do find the Planet Waves 1/4" jacks a bit tight sometimes though as they seem a little fatter then most other cables I have. They can be really tight to plug into either a bass or an amp jack. They get better with use though.

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I use Live Wire cables from GC. They are pretty inexpensive, use quality Neutrik ends and good cable. Whats not to like.

10. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
  11. the best cable is not rusted.

12. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I use George L cables, most reliable I have ever used.

13. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Make your own. The BEST quality that way. better than $100 cables for $20

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's on sale?

15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I used to labor over this, and usually ended up just buying whatever 20 footer was on sale other than the cheapest the store had ...

... now all those cables that have gone bad are 5-8 footers, and used for rehearsal .. or 12-14"ers for the wireless ...

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I make my own out of Mogami cable and Neutrik plugs.

17. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    EWI cables from AudioPile.net with Neutrik connectors. Excellent quality and pleasantly surprising price.

18. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like anything made from ProCo 120SX.

19. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a monster bass cable. I bought it because of the lifetime warranty, which I've already had to use once to replace it because of a careless error. (not the cable's fault)

when GC put their Monsters on sale a couple of weeks ago, I bought another one, as I'm very pleased with the first one. That does raise the question, how many lifetime warranty cables does one person need? apparently the answer is "two"

20. This, and GC will replace it free if it's defective. ;)