Best bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flea Claydirnt, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, what in your opinions are the best bass cabinets are far as brands and models go. Also What are your preffered speaker arrangements, 4x10", 8x10", 4x10" & a 15" or 18", tweeter or no tweeter.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Everyone is going to choose one or the other... with so many variables... nothing gained but opinions. Personally, I want a 2x10 on top of a 1x18. That doesn't make it better for the next guy who preferes a 4x10 next to a 2x15.

In your case, if you were to mention what you use to drive your speakers, what bass you play, what type of music you play, what venues you play and stuff... the more details the better.

3. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, for the kind of music I play, I like a thick, warm sound. So I'm mainly looking at larger speakers. Either a 1x18" with a 2x10" on top or two 15" cabs (I prefer two cabs as opposed to a single large one) would be my choice. As far as companies go, everyone has a favorite and mine are Eden and SWR.
  4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    For my music, I'd like a big a$$ 8x10, prefferably by Ampeg. Maybe 2...

But I have to settle for 2 10's. Which is okay... i guess.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If $$$ aren't a consideration - Aguilars; the GS410 + their GS115 (15" + 4x10"). The Ampeg SVT810E (8x10") a close second IF it is pushed by the SVT head.

Best bang for the buck- Carvin RL1018, (1-18"+4x10"+tweeter). But they're raving over at the Carvin board about the new RL810 (8x10")
  6. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I use 8 10s or 4 10s depending on the gig. I like the punch. 18s are great but are sound system covers that for me, also 18s cause a roll in the drums. the best cab? i use swr goliath 3 cabs but i think the eden d 4-10 XLT cabs have a little more punch.{both the swr and eden were designed by dave eden} I also used hartke 4-10XL s for years and never had a speaker problem.
  7. right now im only usin a single 15'', but when i get a good rig set up (which will be at least a year or two away) i want to have some Ampeg 810s on my side. and let there be bass!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhhh ... bandrb ...

There is no "Dave Eden". Sorry. His name is David Nordschow.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can afford them, the 3 best that I have ever heard are Eden, Bag End and Aguilar.

Their 10s have more bass than most companies 15s or 18s, and if you get an Aguilar or Bag End 15, your sound will have more booty than Jennifer Lopez!:eek:
  10. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    This is going to be one of those "what sounds best to you" deals. Also, It would kinda depend on your application ie; large or small halls, type of music, etc.

For what its worth, put me down for the Aguilar GS 2 or 4 10 cabs (or both!) Lots of head room, excellent low end clarity! - Also the Bag End's bring in a real close second in my book!

But depending on your funds, I think Rickbass was right. Carvin works in a pinch!
  11. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    For me.. Best ones would be a 2x10 with a tweeter and a 1x15. I have a 4x10" moment but i'm not completely satisfied. I'm not too strict about the 1x15. Ampeg, SWR, Eden, EBS, Bag End... Any one of them. But the 2x10" has to be the EBS. It's the brightest and funkiest available.
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If you want to drag around only one cabinet I think the Eden 410XLT is the best all around cabinet you can get. Extremely versatile with lots of bottom and big enough for large club venues but not too big for small rooms.. Aguilar 410 is up in the same category.You get whay you pay for, of course..but either of these will be worth it.
  13. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Munjibunga you are right !!!! i put it that way to make it easy to identify.
  14. Kawika007

Apr 10, 2001
    Houston, TX.
    The best cab I've heard in the last year was a 2X10 and a 2X12 together from Epifani. I ran this using both Solid State (i-amp from Euphonic Audio) and Tube amps (Ashdown). Power handling is second to none ! Great efficiency & not brittle or hard. The cabs are hand made & drivers are well above industry standard. The sound was full, deep & controlled. The articulation is only slightly bettered by Euphonic Audio's cabinets, but they are also very pricey & meant more for 100% neutral studio type accuracy. No question, I'd skip all the rest and get these two cabs with 100% comfort in my decision that it will kick --- and be heard distinctly through the rest of your bands sound (as long as your front end is up to it !
  15. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm kind of partial to combinations of 10s and 15s -- current setup includes a 1X15 and a 2X10.

Brand-wise, I like the Eden cabs a lot, but pricey. If you're looking for a combination of value, good sound and rugged construction, you might check out the Peavey cabs (yes, I said Peavey).
  16. I prefer 3x10s.Both Epifani's and Bergantino's.The Bergantino I played was powered by an Aguilar pre-amp thru a BBE sonic maximizer and a Mackie power amp...Sounded sweet!!!
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden Eden bo beden, bananapana fo feden, fee fie mo meden, Eeeeeeeden. I agree with DaveB ... the D-410XLT is what you want.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yessir, cast my vote with these boyz, Eden D-410XLT is very hard to beat.
  19. Ditto on the Eden 410XLT.
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang Take Five 4x10