Best Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jun 19, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Working on a budget as usual, what would you get if you needed a bass cab, on a budget of $500-650, will gig with it. Currently using a GK RB 400 head. I was considering building a Carvin cab but after reading about Carvins they are good for PA's but not to great for bass cabs according to most of the TalkBassers out there, and I found the same to be true with the low end issue as well. I currently play both active and passive basses. I know it's an open question, not sure which manufacturers or speaker set up to consider as of yet so just looking for some great advise as always from the TalkBassers out there.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Your gunna hear this alot, but there is no specific "best" bass cabs.

In that price range, hartke are good. Im not sure what exact ones, but try out a few of them.

Carvin do make good bass heads, but i wasnt head over heals about their cabs :meh:
  3. In that price range $650 I would recommend the Hartke 4.5XL, Ampeg 410HLF, or Peavey 410 TVX and I'm sure there are other choices that are very good that I've not mentioned. I've used the 4.5XL for several years and have played the other 2 I mentioned.
  4. OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    i wish i still had my acme 4ohm b2. i got it for $325 used and ran it w/ a GK 1001RB and then a Hartke HA4000 and the sound was unbelievable, much nicer than with their own companies' cabs. you'll prob hear people saying you'll need more wattage to pump these but i never had a problem even w/ the 400 watts from the Hartke. everyone has their souns preference but a huge benefit is this cab blows like a 4x10 with the size of a small 2x10.
  5. How about asking which is the best woman?

You have to figure out if you want from a bass cab:

HiFi or Colored tone

Play a CD of your favorite music through the cab, and that will immediately show you the coloration added by that particular cab.

Loud cabs can be small, but don't go down very low. Another thread here mentioned dissatisfaction with a new SWR cab for this reason. Cabs that go down low are either huge or inefficient (not very loud) and are power hungry.

The Acme 4x10 has much more bottom than a JBL E155 18", but the single JBL is louder than the 4x10 Acme on a per-watt basis. Avatar 4x10 cabs are loud, but don't have much bottom. Same for Carvins.

Many of the cabs are colored with a hump in the midbass response as a consequence of putting the speakers into too-small a cabinet. The Eden D410XLT and Carvin RL210 are examples. Neither has much bottom, but both cut through very well in a live mix. The Eden is very efficient and quite loud on a per-watt basis.
  6. I'm playing over an Acme Low B-4. I have never heard or felt this much bass from a cabinet so small (26.5''H-23''W-16.5''D). As stated many times, it's inefficient. Andy suggests using at least 700 watts. I run 1400 watts into mine but it moves more air then an 18'' with a set of 10's. I'm very pleased. It's the best $650 I ever spent that's for sure!
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    In that price range you can buy a new Hartke, Carvin, Ampeg, SWR cab.

You should PM our old buddy Gard and tell him what you have to work with and he might be able to swing ya a good deal. He works at Bass Central and even they're used stuff is in great condition..
  8. I'll throw in my vote for the Eden 210XLT....thunderous low end to crisp highs, this cab does it $400 (used) I ever spent on a cab. I play everything from Motown to Zeppelin to country and this baby is just great.
  9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The best bass cab is whatever I am playing through at the time.
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I know it's an open question and opinions and tastes differ thats what I am looking for. I guess over all lows are very important but so are all the other features mids, highs, clarity etc. I guess to sum it up which I should have done earlier a good overall full range cab, overall tone being most important obviously the lows since we are talking about basses, just the most bang for the buck in your opinions. You guys are awesome as always..thanks again!!!!!!! RIC
  11. hartke XL410... great cab, kicks ass... That's around $600 give or take. DOnt get the transporter or VX series. Try and look into an Avatar 4x10 config too... save afew bucks, good ****
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It depends on your sound preference. A very nice setup, IMO would be an epifani or acme 2x10 matched with a bagend 1x15 deep through a GK 800RB head.
  13. montrocity

Jan 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh PA
    Don't buy anything until you play it, and play it using your head. A cab will sound substantially different when powered by different heads.