BEST bass case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Apr 26, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Recently bought a 5 string 34" scale Spector. I need a case for it. I'm wondering if anybody knows about any that I don't. I'd prefer a sturdy well made case that takes up as little room as possible.

2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would suggest maybe a gig bag if space is a concern...also, if you get a non-spector case, you may have trouble finding one that your bass will fit in snugly. kaces makes a really nice leather (pleather?) gig bag...also check reunion blues and ritter. they make some really sweet looking bags. not really sure how much the rb and ritter bags go, but the kaces bag usually runs around 90 bucks. otherwise, you may want to contact stuart and get an actual spector case. hey, maybe a warwick streamer case would work hee hee :rolleyes:
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you want a fantastic, custom-made, metal flight-style case, go check out I had him make me one for my '58 P Bass (real one, not a reissue, BTW) and he did an extraordinary job at a very good price.
  4. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    what is "a very good price"?
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    If you want a gigbag... Get an undercover gigbag. Talk to Gard. I got one back in December and I love it.
  6. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    My 5-string fender fits nicely and an SKB, and I can jump on it while empty and it holds up fine. Its also the tinnest case ive seen, so it doesn't take much space. It costs around $100.
  7. Other than the Levys gig bags with 1" padding or the undercover gig bags, I would recommend an ultralight case--these things are light as a feather and provide the protection of a hardshell. Go to My Lull bass came with one of the ultralight cases and I have a Hercules flight case for my Surine. Out of 4 flight cases, the hercules is the best flight case I have owned in terms of overall quality, useful compartments, and attention to detail. All of these cases are very well made.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sorry, not at liberty to disclose as it was a special negotiated purchase. But contacting Harry Priest at would rapidly result in a quote...and you can look at pics, like this:

9. These are the best cases. I really like the diamond plating on that can't find them here tho.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, they're very good. Harry Priest is in Canada. You might be surprised how reasonable the price would be to ship one to Texas.
  11. With Spectors, if they have the contored body, you really want to go with the Spector Hardshell case. I tried my spector in an SKB hardshell case and it's not too good cause it doesn't close as well. The spector case is real snug too. It molds to the bass in the area of the upper horn.
  12. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Thanks guys.

GIG BAGS: might go this route. definately takes up less space. just worried about protection.

SPECTOR CASE: might go this route but really I hate having the name "spector" on it. I might as well stencil "steal me" instead.

CUSTOME CASE: that diamond plate case is way cool. I wonder if they make amp cases for our guitar player's mesas. the mesas already have diamond plate. as far as for my bass. that case must be pretty heavy and would chew the he!! out of my car's interior. the cost must be a small fortune. i know you can't tell.
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Kurt, expect to be about double of what a good hardshell case will cost you. They're actually not that heavy as they're aluminum. Could be a problem on car interiors, however.
  14. I'd trust anything from mordern case, I've worked there, and they build them tough
  15. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I'm actually leaning toward trying a modern case. I liked what I saw on their website. Kinda a cross between a hardshell and a gigbag. I've sent them email to see if they have a case that is custom fit to the shape of my spector. BTW those modern cases look alot like the case I saw for a Roscoe I tried resently just the way they were molded. Who knows maybe they make em for Roscoe.
  16. SKBs really are not bad at all. I used one for pretty regular touring for about 4 years, and used the same one to transport my bass overseas and back to the U.S. again. I know the case got banged around pretty hard during travel because it has a small dent now, but it protected my bass perfectly. Still use it all the time. I have nothing but great thigns to say about SKB cases.
  17. modern case makes cases for a lot of companies and bands, most recently dixie chics. I'm not sure if they do customs anymore(I don't work there anymore), but I have some freinds who are employees with real nice cases that they made. I'll be getting one for my Aria