1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass Clef Music Books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Facebook user, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Facebook user

Facebook user

Feb 14, 2016
    So I'm looking for good song books to learn bass with and I'm having the hardest time finding sheet music. Everything is tabs and I really want to get good at sight reading so I figure the best way to do that is to play music with sheet music. Also tabs confuse me, are inconsistent in their usage and often wrong so really not looking for tabs websites or books.

If it comes to it I wouldn't mind downloading and printing stuff out myself but even finding sheet music online is difficult. The only reliable site I have found so far is charging almost $6 per song. Any links or stores with a good selection of music books would be very welcome.

All the local music stores seem to have with bass clef notation is Classic Rock 101 type books and most of the songs in there are things I've been listening to my whole life. Learning the bass line for Sweet Child O Mine or My Girl just isn't exciting for me. Those are perfectly fine songs but I don't love them and I've heard them enough that I really don't need to spend my personal time replicating those or really any other bar classic rock cover band stuff. Jazz, classical, northern soul, or anything along those lines is what I'm hoping for and if it came in a big book I could browse that would be extra great. Any recommendations?

Also looking for a BIG music notations poster but can't find any online that are a decent size. Anyone know where to get one? It'll be great to have up on the wall where I can just look over at it instead of having to get on my phone and double check some of the lesser used notation. I'm still new at this and I know all the notes but I haven't memorized all the different symbols. Anyone ever see something in regular poster size? All I have found so far is half sized posters.

2. Simandl's Thirty Studies for String Bass is good.
    You can also get bass clef editions of the Real Books and New Real Books Vol. 1 & 2, I think. The latter have some funk bass parts written out that are quite difficult.

BBQisgood, seang15, joe# and 2 others like this.
  3. BBQisgood

BBQisgood

Feb 24, 2016
    The Real Book, bass clef edition! Also Marcus Miller and Victor have several transcribed books. Sight reading the left hand of piano books is a big help, too.

Also the Bass Bible by Paul Westwood. Super good with lots of different rhythms and other useful info along the way. It can be found on Amazon.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  4. The best, and frankly, the most fun sightreading I ever did, was from trombone etude books. Go to your local school band print music shop, and peruse the trombone method books. I have no idea what reading level you're at, but if you are a good reader, ask to see the book that contains the current UIL all-state tryout pieces for trombone.

GastonD and BBQisgood like this.
  5. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Agreed. Trombone and tuba pieces are fun and challenging, while often adding some new melodic and harmonic concepts for us rock/jazz players.

BBQisgood likes this.
  6. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Of course, I have a few of these loaded in my tablet with Fakebook.

7. Lot of the real books have bass clef, but, it is the tune in bass clef. If you are wanting a bass clef for the harmony ------ better check out the book before you purchase.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    On top of Trombone and Tuba books I was talking to someone in a band/orchestra instrument store and they suggested Bassoon books too. There is a bassoonist named Paul Hanson (or Henson I don't recall which off hand) who has played with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones who has a Bassoon Improvisation method out that they recommended to me. Also there is JS Bach "6 Suites for Violincello". The first suite starts out as a great voice leading arpeggio etude. As a matter of fact "Classical Thump" by Victor Wooten borrows from that intro.

C/S,
    Rev J

10. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Well, if you are looking for the particular songs/hits, you should seek a copy of the "Standing in the shadows of Motown", with note transcriptions of James Jamerson's lines on dozens of Motown songs. John Patitucci has a nice book called something like "60 melodic etudes for bass".

+1 on using trombone literature.

11. DanMax

DanMax

Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  12. DanMax

DanMax

Mar 13, 2016
    Hrabe's 86 etudes, #24:

upload_2016-3-19_19-13-33.

13. Sturg

Sturg

Nov 29, 2013
    pittsburgh
    +1 on the trombone stuff. I have been working out of a great etude book for a while now: Sigmund Hering 32 etudes for trombone. Was originally a trumpet book that was transcribed for trombone.
    Very good etudes. Musical. Different levels. Check them out.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    JS Bach Cello suites for electric bass.
    I learned how to read with Edouard Nanny Classical method.
    Great book & teaches proper fingering too.

15. Crazyfist

Crazyfist

Sep 26, 2011
    I agree! Cello books are great!

You could also just pretend/draw a bass clef over some treble clef parts, or better yet learn treble clef too. Nothing wrong with knowing both!