Best bass deal ever??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Feb 18, 2006.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    OK. This may have been done before but here goes. What was your absolute best bass deal ever? I mean the absolute steal of the century where you purchased a great bass for far less than what it was worth. I just picked up a used Peavey Foundation bass for 75 bucks. No hacks, dents or issues, just an unbelievable bass for the money.

2. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I got a proper mk1 80s Yamaha TRB6P for about $300 (GBP 150)

3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    My instructor got a MM Stingray 2 weeks ago an older one.. FLAWLESS for $300

My best is my '73 all original for $600
  4. gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    my Peavey Fury 6, $200 new in box and HSC
  5. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Peavey T-40 (in great shape) and a Peavey practice amp (in good mechanical shape & lousy cosmetic shape) for $125
  6. In 1986 I was dating a girl from New Orleans and we visited some friends of hers at thier house. The guy who lived there had a 65 Precision that was all apart in its case. The finish had been stripped and it looked like hell but all the original parts were there. He told me he was tired of working on it and sold it to me for $100. I took it to my job at a music store planning to work on it in my spare time and I left it in its case back in our store room. Well, one of our delivery drivers left the back door to the storeroom open and you can guess the rest!

At least it was only $100......
  7. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    70s Ric 4001 - $250

74 P - $200

Sunn 200s - $150, Concert $125

Marshall 4x12 bass cab - $100
  8. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    1963 Fender Jazz bass - $200 (in 1977 - talked seller down from $250!!)

Found a Polytone amp in someone's trash pile. Needed a $5 part. Turned into a great little practice amp. That was 1979. I still have it somewhere!
  9. My buddy Stacey got a Kubicki Ex-Factor # 71 back in Cail. for $400 with the OHSC.

My friend Shayne got a Older Florida Tobias I think # 77 for $1,200 with OHSC... 5 String Peacock trans. blue color 2 band bart. preamp and pickups, dead mint. AWESOME BASS!!! :cool:

To prove it I will take pic's of it tomorrow at church and post them.

Mike Tobias offered Shayne $4,000 for the bass site unseen over the phone close to 8-10 years ago... Just think about how much that bass is worth today... "I wonder"
  10. Got a Zon Sonus 4 for $700 cash!
  11. washburn 6 string for $250

12. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'd have to say the deal I got on my custom Alembic really turned out to be golden. When I ordered the bass back in November of 2002, their special was half off two custom items. This included Series I electronics on a Europa bass. Additionally, in 2003 prior to my order, Alembic had their first price increase in about 5 years, which was substantial. So, after distributor discounts, I walked out the door with the bass and case for $4,500. I realize that's a heck of a lot of money but using the Alembic custom generator today, the same bass goes for about $12K (however, distributor discounts would likely knock the price down to about $9K). There's no way I could afford this same bass today.

For my own protection, I have this bass insured at the retail replacement value.

13. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I got my flea with the lane poor for 800 bucks. Not "best deal ever" but a pretty good deal for a blue flake matching headstock LP flea.
  14. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i got a Carvin LB75F (see sig) for $550. i consider it a good deal cuz i love Carvins and it's MY first bass. before i got it i was just borrowing basses from others.

amp-wise i got a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 head with a Backline 115 BLX-II for $350 brand new.
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    • My two Yamaha RBX 775s: list price $999, clearance price plus ASCAP discount = $285. I bought one and was so impressed that I purchased the second a week later to defret. Even with the cost of tools/material, I've got a very nice fretless for $350.
    • My Ibanez RKB 900: list price $1199, clearance price plus ASCAP discount = $349. Pound-for-pound the absolute best deal I've ever found.
  16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Degas P-Bass copy. Free. Trouble is, I couldn't get a discount.
  17. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Early 80s G&L SB 1 with hardshell case in great shape; $325.

18. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I don't consider it a "best deal ever" but I picked up a '79 Spector NS-1 for $800.
  19. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    How about this?

Back in the day (1969), my aunt was working as an exchange teacher in Germany. She shipped me a brand new Hofner Beatle bass for $90.00 US. (take a look on the 'bay and see what those puppies are going for today).

Like a doofus, I sold it for $300.00 to buy a Pre-CBS Precision, which I also sold about 2 years later :crying:

"Youth is wasted on the youth". That's why I will NEVER sell another bass unless it's a matter of life and death.

And even then...................
  20. Best deal ever was my Trace Elliot 1518T for $200 Australian. Might not seem that good, but I was going to buy a behringer 115 for $250. So in the end I saved $50 and saved having to buy Behringer. But if i can't find a cheap 210 I might buy Behringer, we will see.