Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass DI for $100 or less new

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SBassman, Feb 11, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There have been many DI discussions here, but I don't think there has been one focused this way - best bass DI for $100 or less - new.

Ante up your thoughts.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Radial. Passive. Enough said.

3. Have you got one for less than $100?:meh: On the same note- SBassman4x, what are you going to use this for? If you take a budget(or even a more-pricey but unknown-to-the-soundperson)DI to a gig, he/she will likely use one of theirs, in which case you could have saved the $100. I don't have a DI(my Eden has a pretty good onboard DI), but when I get one I'll probably bite the bullet(I'm actually cheap myself)& get the industry standard Sansamp or a Countryman. Just some thoughts...

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well....

I got my MXR M-80 Bass DI+ for $85.00 new, but good luck with that.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I guess I was really talking about DI's that also offer some sort of tone coloring or fattening, like the MXR, Hartke, Behringer, and, at higher prices, Sansamp.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    What do you mean?

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I talked them down from $135.00, due to a special circumstance.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Ah. My bad. In that case.........I just don't know.:crying:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why the rolling eyes? That's what the original poster asked for until he clarified that he wants tone shaping. #2 basic DI in my book, right behind Countryman Model 85.

As far as a NEW, QUALITY, TONE-SHAPING, DI, you're really not going to find one. You can probably get three out of the four rather consistently, by either:

Buying something good, used. You can pick up a used Sansamp or MXR around this price.
    Buying something cheaper new, but you'll sacrafice quality, both tonally and in regards to reliability.
    Buying something without tone shaping, a standard, passive DI.
    or if the tone shaping that's important...
    Get a preamp without a DI.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    How about an Aphex Bass Xciter / DI?
    Right price, does some tone enhancement, isn't Behringer :) for the Behringer non-likers.

I personally never heard one, nor do I know anything about the reliability. Anyone care to comment on this DI being a candidate for the criteria I described?
    :) :bassist:

11. I'm rolling the eyes at myself; I assumed the Radial was over $100. Again I say(to myself):rolleyes:

12. Can't comment on the DI side of this unit, but the Bass Exciter feature sounds artificial to me. The Punch Factory is a nice piece- I realize it doesn't have the tone shaping you're looking for, I'm just vouching for Ahex's quality in general.

13. I've had mine for almost a year and it can really fatten up the bottom, also it makes a small amp sound larger. I would definitely replace it if something were to happen to it! My 2 cents.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wasn't aware of the price drop. Weren't these $140 a little while ago?

Aphex makes great gear.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Not sure, but I'm seeing them for $99 in multiple places.

16. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Anybody have the SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI? I know that's more than the $100, but it sounds like it would be good.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The SansAmp is undoubtedly a great DI - with tons of enthusiastic users here. But it's almost 2X the price.

18. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I got my Sansamp BDDI (non programmable) for $100 shipped :-D. Good deal. I guess you can take heart in the fact that if one person in the world was willing to sell his BDDI for $100, another one might.