Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass disto

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basslax, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Electo-Harmonix Big Muff

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Boss ODB-3

23 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Other (name in your post)

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. ProCo Rat

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Prunes and Custard

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Hughes and Kettner

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. MXR

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. Zvex Wooly Mammoth

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. super cheapo Dano pedal

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i am in the market for a distortion pedal for my bass, mostly cus the disto on my zoom bfx sucks. im looking at either the electro-harmonix big muff or boss odb-3 . i need some good versatile distortion for different styles of music.

thanks
    basslax

ps. dont just vote in the poll, plz give me some reasons. the poll it just so i can see what the majority thinks. i need some info the backup the voting though

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I've only played through the Big Muff, but it sounded really great, I have heard that Boss pedals are pretty tweakable though.

3. mesafan

mesafan

Jul 24, 2001
    You can buy mods for the Boss pedal from Torres engineering and it should definitely improve your bass sound. The normal sound takes some of the wind out of the low frequencies.

4. Jon Spence

Jon Spence

Jul 17, 2001
    LOS ANGELES CA
    I use a big muff & I love the way it gives a fat 70's Geezer style distortion.I feel the Rat pedel or Hughes & Ketner pedels give you a wider range of differerent tones. The Hughes & Ketner is kinda expensive though

5. MXR distortion + : volume drop when on, buzzy distortion, more like an OD

RAT 2 : slight loss of low frequencies, but fat fuzz and well controllable

SansAmp Bass DI : IMO the closest sounding tube OD and distortion there is. Doesn't sound "doctored", just a damn good tube-like OD...although i've heard running it INTO a tube amp can lose some of the sound. I've only tried one DI'ed and into a solid-state amp, so can't confirm.

Prunes & Custard : env.follower + fuzz, can be run with the env. on or off, fatter than fat sound, has a switch to keep low freqs when pushing the envelope. Hand-made.

Live I use the P&C, in the studio it's usually the SansAmp plugin for ProTools (damn producers and their preferences!).

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I think u should try the Pro co Rat I found it more controlable than the big muff and i also thought it had a better bottom end. Also try the ibanez Ph7 phat head never tryed it but i've only heard good things

7. Another vote for RAT2. Lots of low end distortion/fuzz/overdrive.

8. I like the Zvex Wooly Mammoth.

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    any places online carry the rat(2)?? i have never heard of it. aslo, who makes it?

10. I own the OBD-3 and its all that and a bag of chips. The bassist who plays in the band I play guitar in owns the Electroharmonix USA made Big Muff, and while the Big Muff is pretty good, IMO its nothing compared to the OBD-3.

BTW I'm going to add a few more options to the poll every now and then, you gave only a few choices. I'm also going to just put in the brand names, not the actual model, cause I'm not gonna go look up every single product name and number

11. I used my Rat for years w/o reallyrealizing how much bottom it really clips off (alot!) The sound was just so good, I guess it worked well in the band context. My Crowther audio P+C is hands down the best bass dist/fuzz I've ever used. I have tried quite a few in my years. It is SOOO fat and fun. Crunchy, buzzy...subharmonic and w/ that cool filter sweep. (Not an envelope ! Paul C. says..) I recently bought a bass fuzz that I think is also fairly cool and truly unique from Richard at Chunk systems in Sydney, Aus. http://www.chunk.com.au/fz002.htm
    check it out. It has a nifty adjustable gate knob to go from loose, explosive Big muff style fuzz to a tight, moog style bass synth sound; so very cool.

12. I like the Ampeg SVP-BSP or the Sans Amp PSA-1. Shure they are a little more complex then the pedals and take up rack space but it's more accurate plus I can use them fingerstyle.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I like the Zvex. I have played through one at a local store and the sound is incredible. It actually makes your bass bassier. The unfortunate thing is they are very expensive. Because of that I own a Boss ODB-3 (also a very good pedal). But if I had the money I would go Zvex Wooly Mammoth!!!
    -KB

14. Who makes it?
    Is there anywhere I could get it in the US?

15. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    Best overdrive (not fuzz) I have tried is the Dredgetone Angler..a little handmade wonder from John Joseph in Berkeley California. I rarely take a chance on stuff I read about..but this pedal really has it. This is the closest to an overdriven tube i have heard (though I have only been playing for 30 years..), and it responds beautifully to your touch..a true analog pedal. He designed a circuit that allows you to blend bass back into the distortion.. (it's not distortion like a RAT..it's overdrive)..so that you still have plenty of bass. this is similiar to the zvex and Depth Charge. and hows about this sports fans? he will put into the circuit as much fuzz as you want too..just ask. I explained what I was looking for, and he sent me the right pedal..at 1/2 the price of a fulltone/zvex. (btw, I tried those and I like this better.)
    I also have a sansamp bddi on my pedalboard, but I don't like their od sound..I do like just about everything else on the pedal though.

od's I disliked: Black Cat brassmaster clone, ALL BOSS stuff, big muff RI's, i just lost count...

other ones i liked besides the Angler: Prescription depth charge (but too fuzzy), Original germanium fuzz face. way too fuzzy but hey..I saw Hendrix in 67..

16. Hendrix in '67?! I didn't know rest-homes had internet access......

17. the sansamp BDDI does a very realistic tube distortion/overdrive. the only other unit i've tried was the ODB-3, which i hated.

18. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    ting bout playing dub stylee in the res' home is the bass mak'a d heart machines beat one love @ 65 bpm.

simmers us raht down now.