1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass Distortion / Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kaiser_sosea, Jun 18, 2007.

1. What in your opinion is the best bass distortion/overdrive pedal for under $100, there had to be a catch. Also i'm looking for mild overdrive, not death metal type sounds. I was looking into the Big Muff Pi but i've been hearing it sounds too thin, cuts your lows. Any opinions or helpful advice? Thanks in advance!

2. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    If you do a search for overdrives, you'll find a lot of usable information.

With that said, the LBM and Bad Monkey are some favorites.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Little Big Muff does great with the lows (better than the large USA Big Muff, reportedly). However, the Muff pedals are generally considered to be fuzz rather than OD. If you're looking for mild, the Muff ain't it.

This is a pretty often discussed issue. Search for "Mild Overdrive" and you should have plenty to read about.

EDIT: There really isn't a "best" - especially with OD/distortion/fuzz pedals. There are tons of options and variations of flavors to choose from. It's very much about individual preference. If YOU like the sound if it, it's "best" for you.

Happy hunting! :)

4. thanks for the replies so far, doin a search

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    the bad monkey would do ok. i didnt like it myself but most do. the LBM is a fuzz pedal though.. that would be a fuzz pedal and wouldnt do overdrive nice at all. he also said he didnt like the big muff.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Whoa whoa whoa - the Big Muff is too thin and cuts lows???

...some do.

The Little Big Muff doesn't - it's thick, warm, and can be quite a crazy fuzz.

With that being said, you really don't want a Big Muff to begin with, or any fuzz pedal, for that matter. Almost none of them can get subtle or mild overdrive.

7. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Opps. :x I often confuse the Muffs with OD, sorry. :p

I'd recommend the PD7 but it's more of a distortion than OD. It's probably more gritty than you'd like.

8. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i think the dod250 is a great cheap pedal that does fine. i like the ts9dx and ts808 pedals too.

9. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    fulltone bassdrive

10. ChocolateTV

ChocolateTV

Sep 23, 2006
    Digitech Bad Monkey.

:bassist:

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I bought and sold mine for 125 and it was the cheapest I've ever seen one go.

I doubt you'd ever find one for under 100. Maybe from an addict or someone who needed cash immediately.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i've got a dod 250 and really like it. about $40 brand new.

the digitech bad monkey is another popular choice. never played it before, myself, though.

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I really like my EHX Hot Tubes OD...

It's pricey, but I've found it has a good range of sounds from mild to nasty..

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The DOD is supposedly quite good. For $40 you cant lose.

15. I have a Boss OD-3, and it has a really nice tone to it. I turn the gain down, and the OD up, and I get that really nice "amp is on fire" type of tone, and then I can get a nice vintage chug too...

16. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    I use a BOSS OBD3 for heavy distortion and a BOSS super overdrive to mild dist. Although it is a guitar pedal it keeps the low end together pretty well.

17. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I use a Ibanez TS5, sounds as good as the TS9 to my ears...

the EHX Muff'n gets a lot of love here as well

18. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i think the Humphrey-modded Bad Monkey goes for around 85 bucks. apparently, it Rocks on bass.

19. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I have a DOD FX91 Bass OD...it's great. it's got a blend control, which many value here to retain low end. I use it alot for that mildness you speak of. And I got it for free :)

There's one being bid on on eBay right now that's only 10.50 with a little less than 2 days to go. And if they have DODs at guitar center, it's not very hard to talk their prices down.

20. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    GC doesn't sell DOD.

FYI: the easiest and best way to "talk GC prices down" is with a legitimate price match (from another store, or from an authorized online source).
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021