1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass Driver For Ampeg SVT-4 Pro Simulation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, Nov 29, 2006.

1. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    What is the best bass driver out there for simulating and getting the sound of an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro?

I have an Ampeg B2RE right now and I need to get a pedal that can get me to sound as close to an SVT-4 Pro as I can until I can actually get an SVT-4 Pro.

2. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    I have a SansAmp BDDI but I am not sure if this one is best for the SVT-4 Pro sound. I was looking at the blowtorch but I'm not sure. I am just looking for the best single box for getting the sound or tone of the Ampeg AVT-4 Pro.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 4 PRO has no growl or overdrive in it's sound. An Ampeg tube preamp (SVP-CL or SVP-PRO) would get you a sound close to the 4 PRO and in my opinion, a much better tone. The 4 PRO is just clean, warm, and tubey sounding with a large power section.

The Bass Driver DI will not get you the 4 PRO tone. And even though Tech 21 claims the BDDI can get the tone of an SVT, it can't even come close to real tube growl. I own the 2 PRO, I know what tube growl sounds like and the BDDI does a great fuzz-tinged overdrive sound-not power tube growl.

4. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    Well I am saving up to get an actual SVT-4 Pro so there is no reason to spend 500 on just a preamp when I can just keep saving and eventually get the real thing.

I am just looking for something to make my B2RE sound as close to the 4 Pro as it can until I actually get one.

MXR Blowtorch?

5. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Sorry, I didn't realize your situation. The MXR Blowtorch sounds very similar to the Big Muff PI, but with more clarity. It's all Fuzzy distortion and contains no clean sounds whatsoever. MXR says it can do subtle tube grind, but when I tried it - all I could hear was filthy fuzz regardless of the distortion level knob. Even on the highest levels, it sounds nearly the same at lower levels. Don't bother with it.

The BDDI from Tech 21 would give you a more tube like tone, but be aware that this unit will scoop the mids somewhat, so up the mids 300-500hz up a little on your B2RE to compensate.

I know I said in my last post that it can not sound like the 4 PRO, but in reality it can get somewhat close. The BDDI just will not be as clean sounding as the 4 PRO is what I really meant.

The BDDI is a great unit and will work well with your future 4 PRO and your B2RE.

6. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    Thanks, do you think I will even still need to use the BDDI with the 4 Pro when I actually get it?

7. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Depends.. only your ears can tell you if you want to use a seperate preamp.

Me? I wouldn't use it if I had a SVT-Pro 4 :)

It's really a question about if you want to colour your tone with the sansamp or not.

8. Gearhead17

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Most bass players will use the BDDI for overdrive and then plug the edgy tone straight into the 4 PRO. But, the 4 PRO sounds nice on it's own and really does not need tone enhancement. Try it though, you might like what you hear.