Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best bass ergonomic-wise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Apr 16, 2005.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Hey everyone

I want to get a new bass and my biggest concern (other than sound) is how easy it is to play on stage. What are the best, preferably lightest basses out there? Also, it doesn't just have to be a certain bass, but maybe just certain kinds of things, for example like a light ash body? You get the point :-D

Thanks in advance

2. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Check out any of the Ibanez Ergodyne series. The bodies are made out of luthite, and the most comfortable bass I've ever played. They're excellent mid-range basses, and its tonaly quite versatile. I own the EDC705 and they only weigh 8 pounds.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This:

^^ My AirBass. Aero p-ups, Le-O-two Quann-tity WorseAssIII bridge, Ethereal strings. Sounds cool, looks even better :cool:

Kidding aside, yes, having a light swamp ash body will reduce the weight. Having it chambered will shave off some more pounds. Using aluminium bridges instead of steel and brass, and lighter tuners (Hipshot Ultralites, Gotoh Res-O-Lites) can reduce weight even further.

4. Ibanez unfortunatly only seem to make the EDB (out of the ergodyne series) now

Love my EDA, light as hell, thin as hell neck, only grip is the action is always slightly higher than it could be because of how the neck and body come together

[​IMG]

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    vigier basses (90/10 series) are really light weight, flame alder body, 5 piece french maple through neck with graphite bars (10% of the neck is graphite), no truss rod, phenonwood fingerboard, small and balanced bodies.
    I own an arpege myself.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Another thing to consider when thinking about ergonomics is the strap. Get a wide, padded strap. I like Neotech Super Bass straps.

You could get Ron Blake to make you a Claw. Those basses are only 5 pounds.

7. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    fat mike from nofx uses danelectro because of his bad back, and because they're so cheap. I found one at the shop a few months back and tried it, it didn't sound bad (I heard them live a year ago,it sounded absolutally gorgous, somehow) but i felt like I could've thrown it up caught it witha finger, damn that bass was light!

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Noooo! The ergodynes are heavy, and have an icky tone. The necks are also weird. (IMO)

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Probably a Dingwall.

10. Doesn't he work for Ed Roman? That would discourage me...

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not surprising as it's made from light woods and is chambered.

If we're talking about real light basses, then the BassLabs Soul is worth a mention, too.

12. Definitely check out both Parker and Status Graphite basses if you are looking for the ultimate choice in ergonomic balance, electronics, and tone flexibility. Trust me! :)

13. Ideal ergonomics will vary from person to person. Additionally, weight is not neccesarily the biggest factor in comfort, for me. I had a Warwick Corvette 6 that weighed 12 pounds but balanced perfectly. It was fine til I had to put it on or off. I've had much lighter basses that didn't balance as well, which for me is worse(& I'm an extreme wuss). I'm always surprised at how well my Fender Jazz 5 sits on me.

14. I dont think the neck on mine is wierd, just really thin :p

The EDB was alot heavier than the rest of the Ergodyne series, i dont know why, but the EDC and EDA (especially) are really light i find

15. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    www.kubicki.com

If you're thinking about ergonomics, take a look at these basses. No neck dive, a neck that plays like butter, and hybrid electronics that can give you almost any tone you can imagine (not to mention they look like nothing else out there). I've found the last bass I'll ever need. :)

16. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That is such BS. The EDC 705 and 715 have great tone.
    You can hear the 705 on any Orgy song off of Candyass, and it sounds great. Not that Paige Haley is a phenomenal bassist, but I liked his tone, especially Stitches, nice and growly. Fetisha is great tone,as well and Fiend. As far as I know they were recorded with an EDC.
    They are very comfortable, and the necks felt great to me.

17. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    The Ibanez Ergodynes are wonderful basses imo. Their tone is great, they feel wonderful to hold and they're so light. Plus they're as sexy as hell.

18. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    For me, my '73 Jazz is probably the most comfortable ergonomically - it feels like an old shoe. My Pedulla MVP is great - thin neck, small body, feels awesome. My Rick has a neck to die for (IMHO) - thin, thin, thin. And my Alembic Dragon's Wing, while looking uncomfortable, is anything but. Well balanced, easy to play sitting down or standing up, and a great neck .. not to mention tone for days. And my Alembic Europa ... ditto.

The worst ergonomcally? My Gibson Thunderbird .. a disaster, but it just looks so cool. Much better sitting down than standing up. Every time I stand up with it, the neck wants to tango with the floor.

Alan

19. I totally agree with this. Jazz's are comfy and familiar.

20. ill seccond that.....if the body was a jazz id still have mine.....

but i loves me jazz basses....i mean jazz bass.....another jazz after the amp is all set :hyper: