1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass(es) for BEAD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Apr 29, 2010.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for i guy who almost never OP's in this forum I'm on a roll. I've had fives and would like another one or a 6, but have been toying around with the idea of buying or making a BEAD. I've been disapointed with most 34" fives (not all). Likewise it always seems to me that a B does better with a pickup a bit closer to the bridge or blending in that direction (but not always)

So, for those of you who have done the BEAD (or similar) thing, which basses have you found to be the best at it?? I really don't have an issue with replacing a nut or bridge saddles if needed, but include that or any other mods you found to be of value in your favorite BEADers.

Thanks!

2. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    ATK's

Musicmans

Wals

Warwick Fortress, Streamer, Vampyre, $$

Lakland or Skyline 44-02, 55-02

Mod a bass and put a Humbucker in it near the bridge

OR even

P bass

3. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    I did it to a pbass, I didn't get the clarity on the B that I wanted. I had to really adjust the pup on that side to get a tone I liked. You should go the humbucker route or the p with a humbucker at the bridge. Jazz bass maybe if you go fender route?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've done it to a Ric 4004Cii, with only modding the nut slightly. Didn't even need to tweak the trussrods or bridge at all. Also, a .125 B string worked out pretty well, too. I've since tuned it "up" to D standard, and find that a little more to my liking, since I rarely ever went below the low D anyway. Still using the .125 for the D, which is a bit overkill, but sounds HUGE.

5. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Ibanez BTB, Peavey Cirrus, basically anything 35" scale

6. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    A huge +1 to the Ibanez ATK300, and I'll add the Warwick Thumb Bolt-on to the list. No need for a 35" scale if you adjust the string gauge to suit. I've always been happy using the heaviest B string I can find - at least .135, but I've used a D'Addario .145 (on their own recommendation for a .105 - .045 set) and been very satisfied.

c-

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Ws are good for BEAD; I've just recently been told that you don't actually need to mod anything on them, the factory nut (III) will fit any B up to 130 gauge (so far I've only tested with light 120, but the guy who gave me the info was using 130 with no problem whatsoever).

8. I did the BEAD thing on a jazz bass before with pretty good results. I also tried the BEAD thing on my warmoth pbass which was pretty good too. I just ended up buying a 5string tho.

9. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  10. 34" scale isn't my fave for low notes, but a Stingray with BEAD does sound good.
    But it's all about tension, get the right strings with the right scale and you'd be right.
    My fave BEAD bass is a 35" scale Yamaha - weird bu true!

11. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Woah! I didn't even know Warwick made those (Taranis).

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I've not done BEAD, but my ATK700 is currently strung DbAbDbGb, and it's as solid as a rock. String tension is nice and tight, and it sound brutal.

13. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Schecter Basses work very well tunes BEAD... Especially the 35" scales.

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks for the replies i'm a stickler for tension, i hate playing flat (as i do for one of my bands) as it already gets too loose for me. i can see myself using heavy gauge strings on a 34 for BEAD

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've tried it with quite a few basses, you definatly wanna find a 35" if you can, the results are indeed better, my best luck was with a 35" Traben Kore 4 string, but they're discontinued now.

How much you looking to spend, you could get a Warwick Dark Lord(or Taranis), some Schecters are 35", I believe some Ibanes are too(BTB, maybe?)...

16. subscribed

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've done a great conversion on a Cirrus BXP for a TBER.. my primary gig bass is a Milestone import.. with tapes.

==

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    probably not sick amounts at that cost i would drop on a good fiver. maybe 1500 ceiling or so

19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hmmm, thats a fair whack of cash, should be easily able to find something that will work.

EDIT: Maybe something by Tom Clement, he does sweet work, and should come in quite under that, if you keep it simple.

20. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    35" scale is a good thing. On the other hand, my 34" Warwick Rockbass Corvette four string really comes to life once you start tuning it down. Kind of "meh" in E but much better in D. Even lower also sound great, but the standard strings get very floppy to play.
    That bass is active and has the bridge P/U close to the bridge.

I also have a very nice P bass that sounds really muddy and still clanky if tuned to BEAD, even strung with the proper gauge.

/Alexander