1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Bass for $1000 - $1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTall, Nov 1, 2010.

1. EricTall

EricTall

Mar 15, 2010
    I play a 5 string USA Jazz, and I love it. But I want to get a 4 string. I play from church music to rock. My 4 main choices are:

Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003
    Lakland Skyline 44-02
    G&L L2000
    Music Man Stingray

I am looking for quality construction, tonal variety and playability.

Any thoughts?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not the Ric.

The Stingray and 44-02 would be first choices, in no particular order. Both can be had well under $1000 if purchased second-hand. I've seen more than a handful of Skylines and 'Rays right here in the TB classifieds.

Riis

3. tk4207

tk4207

Sep 25, 2010
    Go for the Rick.

I've performed nearly every genre of music on it, and it hasn't let me down yet!

Try and get a 4003 new (warranty), or if not, get a post-2006 used (has the push-pull vintage tone selector, so that it sounds like the 4001)

4. For versatility I'd say get the G&L.

I've never been a fan of the L2000 myself (too many knobs and pickups for me, I prefer the simple P-bass), but I doubt you'll ever find a more versatile bass. The G&L quality is second to none, and they are quite cheap as well.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Used Zon would fit tonally and last you forever.

6. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    used sadowsky

7. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    Go play the new stingray classic you wont be able to put it down!
    The tone is great and flexible and a real Quality instrument.

14pounds likes this.
  8. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    +1 - for all-round basses with quality construction, great playability and great tone, I'd go for either of those (have owned both). IMO, first choice would be the 44-02, because of its tonal variability. I do a church gig, as well as jazz and rock playing, and it's been a great tool for all of those situations.

I've seen several here on TB lately, priced right.

9. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Threads like this almost never go anywhere. There are sop many people with varying opinions that youll never just get one answer. Also, theres no such thign as a best bass at any price range really. It comes down to preference for the most part. Try some basses out and make your own decision.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Rick has definitely seemed to have QC issues as of late.
    Also, though many are totally satisfied with it's range of tones, many people also believe Rics have that ONE tone.
    Playability is up in the air, depends on whether or not you like a thick neck.

11. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    thats because this is not science the guy is looking for opinions so he can make a good decision on getting a good bass!

12. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    44-02 & try out a few of them if you can~ the more recent ones seem better than ever to me. The G&L has that sort of 'all or nothing' preamp that can be too much for some styles.

13. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    I never said it was science, dont be ignorant. Im saying asking for an opinion to such a broad question on the forum is somewhat pointless. Not only has everyones answers been all over the palce but people have already started suggesting basses that he didnt have listed. The reality is he wont be any better off after this thread. He will still be deciding between a bunch of basses he doesnt know he will like without trying.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Given the OP now plays a Jazz 5 and loves it, I'll make the near-fatal assumption that a radical departure would not be the best choice. That pretty much elimates the Ric. Of the remaining 3, I've found the 44-02 and 55-02 come closest to matching the Jazz 5 in terms of feel, tone, comfort, and playability.

My opinion, of course.

Riis

15. Custom Carvin SB4000/SB5000's are worth checking out :cool:

16. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    i really think you should put the time in to try all 4 of them and see what you like. i've played them all and ended up with a music man. can you get a ric for under $1500?

17. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    +10
    i did the same and also ended up with the music man!

18. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    If you're considering the Stingray, you might as well consider the G&L L-1500 as well for an alternative sweetspot single humbucker bass. It has as big a range of sounds as the L2000, but not the same range of sounds. It's better at sounding like a traditional P-bass or like a modern snarly funky thumb-popper.

If you want simpler, G&L has the SB-2 P/J model with just two volume knobs, or a JB or the cost-saving JB-2. All the USA models feature top quality woods, meticulous construction, first-rate parts, and a Plek'd fretboard.

They are also great working instruments--they sit well in the mix without disappearing, which helps hold the band together, and they are very reliable and durable.

19. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    for under $1,500? where? The ones I've seen here on TB mostly run from about $1850 to upwards of $3k. I saw one for $1,650, I think.

20. aztomr

aztomr

Oct 5, 2010
    Flagstaff,AZ
    You can get a used rick under $1500, I purschased a MINT 99 4003 for $1400 a month or so ago. I see Rick bashing here and there, but I see no flaws whatsoever. By far the best sounding, playing, feeling and looking bass I've ever had in my hands.:bassist: