Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best bass for 1k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 3, 2002.

1. What do you think is the best bass for 1000 dollars (give or take a few hundred)?

I'm in a very interesting situation; after begging my parents for a Musicman Stingray, after looking at my current $20 junk bass (see profile), are seriously considering buying me a new bass. (not the Musicman--school issues)

I need completely biased opinions of simply the best bass. The local stores only carry certain brands.

I know this sounds like a situation that i probably shouldn't post here, but I would really appreciate some choices

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Stingray

Instead of begging them for it, simply tell them it's the best bass for 1000 bucks. If they get you some other 1000 dollar bass, sell it and buy a stingray.

If all else fails, get a Fender Jazz. It's a piece of crap compared to the stingray IMO, but if that's all they'll let you get, then so be it.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You have quite a few options:

Carvin LB or BB 70, 75 or 76 (4, 5 or 6-string)

Music Man Stingray or Sterling

A plethora of MIJ or MIA Fenders

Peavey Cirrus basses

Coklin Groove Tools (If you're Jonesin' for a 7)

Certain G & L models

I'm sure others will add a bunch of others, but these are sorta the best production (meaning non-custom) models out there that I tried and think are good. If you look into buying used, you're in for a treat. You can get real sweet deals on instruments that might have list prices of over $2k.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd say Peavey Cirrus all the way.

If you are interested in a custom however, you might try www.dpcustom.com.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
  6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You may be able to find a used rob allen for that much. You could get a cheap used zon for a little bit more.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't really like to pry into people's business.. but what school issues prevent you from getting a Stingray??? If you are playing in your jazz band.. It will fit in there.. Stingrays work with every style... but if you absolutely can't get a stingray.. there are a number of great basses to be had.. Fender Jazz basses.. I like MIJ or MIA.. Warwick corvette. umm.. G&L jazz bass is a killer jazz bass.. gosh there are so many good basses out there.. i just gave my self GAS.. crud

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Maybe it is orchestra. :D

9. lets not forget the BTB series from Ibanez. you can get 6 string for LESS than a thousand bucks(even in canadian!). i got a 406, and love it. cost me $850 canadian.

10. the correct answer is Peavey Cirrus.....

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I won't argue with that.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Even though a Cirrus normally would cost over $2K here, I got mine for just below $1K: Let me tell you, for the money, I couldn't be happier. :D

13. you should be able to pick up a Rickenbacker 4003 for under a grand from musicians friend. my local shop will beat any price so, I would try taking the price quote with me when you go to a store.

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK, here's another biased opinion - go get yourself a Czech Spector, you won't regret it!!! Either one of the New ReBop bolt on neck jobs or maybe even look out for a used neck thru!!:D :D

15. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I was shopping for a bass amp and didn't want to spend the money for an Eden. I spent about $1500 in two years trying to purchase something that sounded the way I wanted it to. Gave up bought the Eden and now I'm living happily ever after. Except for the mountain of bass gear my wife wants me to get rid of.

Bottom Line : Buy what you want or YOU won't be happy till you do.

16. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

For me personally it's a G&L L2000 with #6 or #8 neck. And if you want to know where to get that for under $1000 drop me an email.

For you, well, only you can say. If the Stingray is what floats your boat then see if you can work through the issues that don't allow you to get it. I had two at different times and they are great basses, just not for me.

Other new options include American Fenders, a G&L L-1500 (kind of a "stealth" Stingray-like bass, not exact but very similar), maybe an MTD Grendel, a Carvin might be your thing (it wasn't mine). But if it's not what is right for you, then you won't be happy with it.

17. Yes, as a general rule, even on TB, don't just take others' advice on what's good. Take the advice, but then TRY OUT A LOT OF GEAR, and then decide for yourself. (this has probably been said so many times on TB that there should be a quick-key shortcut for it). But it's true. I've spent a lot of money on taking blind advice from others, just to receive the gear and find out it's just not my thing. Good gear, but just not MY sound, feel, etc. Examples: Embellisher thinks highly of the Bassman amps, I think they're junk, total junk based on the 2 I've played. However, we both sing the praises of the Peavey Cirrus. Gard told me that SWR cabs don't have the low-end they should and that I wouldn't be happy with them. Well, the ones I've played thru sounded great, lotsa lows.

I personally don't care for the sound/feel of Stingray's, even though they're cool cuz Flea plays them. Big, thick, round necks I don't care for.

Bottom line, you gotta decide.

18. Here's some overlooked high quality basses that fetch under $1000...

Dean Edge Improv, check the out at www.deanguitars.com

Brian Moore i2000 bass, check them out at www.bmcguitars.com

Both are neck through design, high quality woods, construction, electronics and hardware.

About $950 plus for the Dean, about $850 plus for the Brian Moore.

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    [rubs eyes in amazement]

Mr. Dead DIDN'T recommend the czech spector!?!

luckily, when i was in this situation i had a LITTLE bit more money to toss around...and got the czechtor.

i totally think i got a bargain (my mom can tell ya otherwise!):eek: :D